Cat 6.8 completely breaks x1900XT overclocking

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
In Cat 6.3, ATI Overdrive properly tests and set high values for both GPU and Mem frequency. I back those off to 670/770 and run flawlessly in games like Oblivion and Prey. This is on an x1900XT.

Testing Cat 6.8 (luckily on a spare partition), Overdrive completely scews up. It does not vary Mem frequency at all and only allows a max setting of 668/765.

The sooner AMD kills of ATI, the better. Pathetically bad driver development has rendered their hardware effort useless and I would never buy another one of their time wasting product if my life depended on it. (If their drivers had any chance of working I would not have to install XP in spare partitions just to see if it works.)

The only reason I bought ATI was because of HDR+AA and that turned out to be a total lie since the horrible drivers disallow this feature in most games.

Let's hope Nvidia does not also go down the drain when the competition (and I use that term loosely) goes away.

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I tried ATITools. The supposed latest version that supports x1900. Setting clock to 670/770 which works perfectly under Cat6.3 Overdrive causes immediate, massive 2D corruption and hangs the system.

The unfettered Overdrive was a great app and worked within CCC which has a LOT of other useful features, like AVIVO control.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
YAY! WUSY DOESN'T FAIL!!!

I would do what he says, I do the same thing with ATITool. It's the proper way to do things. Then you don't fail at life.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Dont ever oc the mem before the core;

Max core clock always comes first, then you find the memory peak.
You do the ram first, could end up limiting you in the core.

My GPU overclocks best with the 6.5's...so I'm not switching anytime soon.
The .25 beta detect my GPU just fine, I can't see why you have a problem.
At any rate;

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
The sooner AMD kills of ATI, the better. Pathetically bad driver development has rendered their hardware effort useless and I would never buy another one of their time wasting product if my life depended on it. (If their drivers had any chance of working I would not have to install XP in spare partitions just to see if it works.)

Where is the competition going??? Who ever said anything about AMD killing off ATI in the graphics card department???

You are just too easy, I could really REALLY get you good but its just too easy.

For one, overclock a graphics card the proper way. Not even self respecting noobs use auto overclock utilitys.

Secondly you dont have to install windows on another partition, its easy enough to clean out the un wanted drivers or even ghost the current install to another location. You act like it takes 5000 hours anyhow, even if you HAD to wait through the install process anyhow.

Ugh... just too easy.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
You do the ram first, could end up limiting you in the core.
I know that is true (not for my 9800SE apparently), but in the past it has always been for every 1Mhz of memory is worth a lot more than every 1Mhz core in performance.
I was under the impression that is the the opposite, that every Mhz on the core was worth much more then each Mhz on the memory. I see a experiment coming!

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well once I get my damned 7900GTX back up and running I will put it through the paces and see what I come up with. I will take screenshots and save 3DMark06 results. I wouldn't expect them before Friday, I have too much crap to do this week it seems.

Things may have changed since the days of the 9800 SE, so we might as well test this theory! :)

Edit: I am waiting on my new DFI CFX3200 because the BIOS ROM chip died, the board will be here tuesady and won't get installed until Thurs. night.

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I can't believe the morons on here who don't understand english.

Overdrive worked perfectly in Cat 6.3 and did not work in Cat 6.8. I am just asking that ATI apply some QA to that section of code. Why should I relearn everything on a freeware app that comes with no documentation whatsoever and looks like it was written by a 12 year old.

In addition to the poor and uninformative interface, ATITOOLS CRASHED MY SYSTEM with just a small clock increase. Finding the proper version and documentation looks like it could take DOZENs of downloads and test installs. There is no reason to throw away CCC just to change two simple clock settings. All the 3D and AVIVO settings are VERY easy to understand and change in CCC.

So once again, and here comes that nasty English, ATI needs to fix their Overdrive code to work like it did in Cat 6.3. What is so unreasonable about that request?

And to the jerk who put down spare boot partitions for testing, I have a lot of other things to test out regularly and the new graphics driver gets tested along with them. It is FAR easier than uninstalling and reinstalling the SAME version.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
It's because of people like paulpod that ATI Drivers have a bad rep.

If you dont know how to properly overclock(this case), use the controls, and dont have a clue what the drivers on the other side(Nvidia) are like, then you should learn first before you blame the drivers/developers/company.

If you dont like ATI Drivers than download a 3rd party one, like Omega Drivers for ATI cards.

Before you make posts like these, read up on the subject and try to find if you are doing anything wrong or if there is an easy solution. And if there isn't, then make your posts less negative by not blaming someone else. Try something like "Why can't I get the same overlclock on card "x" with new drivers?"

Listen to what wusy and others have to say, they are for the most part very correct.

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Hard drives dont cost 35 million dollars you know, having a spare or two around (like say 40-80GB) to have test installs of windows on is the easiest way to do somthing. If one screws up you have another, and then you can just format and reinstall it again or keep the second extra HDD as a master and keep cloning it back to the first extra.

not that hard of a concept

newsk-1

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Wow,...I guess when some people need to rely on the CPU mother nature gave them instead of the silicon type,....they "bluescreen"!
Dude you are Blue-Screening bad now,...do not let your anger cloud your common sense.Do you work for nVIDIA ???
The reason ATI tools crashed your system is because you do not want to learn to run it right.You call all these people morons,but you cant run ATI TOOL??????LOL{I think we all know who the "TOOL" is here}
The 12yo that wrote that program can!!!