DNS Primary and Secondary

I am trying to install sescondary DNS in my Windows 2000 machine.
In Primary DNS, in the tcpip setting, I had its own DNS as a Primary dns.
I read in a article where it says that when there is Primary and secondary
DNS, primary should have Secondary's DNS IP as primary and its own ip as
alternate. The sencodary server should have primary server as primary IP and
its own as alternete IP address.
Can someone comment on that?
Thanks
Sn

"Sn" <ssfatmi2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to install sescondary DNS in my Windows 2000 machine.

> In Primary DNS, in the tcpip setting, I had its own DNS as a Primary dns.

No, you had it as Preferred (on the NIC).

Primary and Secondary are SERVER ZONE TYPES.

Preferred and Alternate are client CONCEPTS (unrelated.)

Even a DNS server is a DNS client.

> I read in a article where it says that when there is Primary and secondary
> DNS, primary should have Secondary's DNS IP as primary and its own ip as
> alternate.

No, that is a commonly given piece of naive advice.

It is naive because it is occasionally NECESSARY for
temporary purpose, but usually a poor choice for a
permanent setting.

Sometimes they both are wrong. (But not often.)

Generally (if things are working correctly) the DNS server
should list itself first and any secondaries later, in order of
(network) proximity.

> The sencodary server should have primary server as primary IP and
> its own as alternete IP address.

This makes sense during EARLY setup or repair when you need
to make sure they are all resolving from a CONSISTENT DNS
(single server) zone file.

After that, it is inefficient, especially if there are WANS involved.

> Can someone comment on that?

It is a naive and incomplete recommendation -- since it
works generall in the worst case, it relieves the person
making the recommendation from explanating how to
understand the issues.

> Thanks
> Sn

Thanks Herb