Server 2003 DNS ISSUES

Donovan

I am having some dns issues in server03. Initially i was not able to add
clients onto the domain. I thought it may be the client however i was able to
add that system onto onther domain.

I turned to the server to ensure tcp over netbois was enabled and that dns
was configured correctly. when looking at the forward zones everything within
the folder was missing. I demoted the server changed its name removed dns and
promoted it with a different domain name. xxx.xxxxxx.private.

This did not seem to work. I then tried the following
No! Leave AD in place, make sure all zones for the domain are deleted from
all DNS servers. Resart the DNS service to make sure the zones stay gone.
Then with all DCs pointing to the same DNS server, create a new zone on that
server with dynamic updates allowed. Run ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig
/registerdns & net stop netlogon & net start netlogon. Chack the zone make
sure all the records are created with netdiag /test:dns /v then change the
zone to AD integrated and wait for it to replicate.
___________________________________________________--
and unfortunalty no luck i am almost at the point of a full os reinstall

any help would be appreciated.

Donovan wrote:
> I am having some dns issues in server03. Initially i was not able to
> add clients onto the domain. I thought it may be the client however i
> was able to add that system onto onther domain.
>
> I turned to the server to ensure tcp over netbois was enabled and
> that dns was configured correctly. when looking at the forward zones
> everything within the folder was missing. I demoted the server
> changed its name removed dns and promoted it with a different domain
> name. xxx.xxxxxx.private.
>
> This did not seem to work. I then tried the following
> No! Leave AD in place, make sure all zones for the domain are deleted
> from all DNS servers. Resart the DNS service to make sure the zones
> stay gone. Then with all DCs pointing to the same DNS server, create
> a new zone on that server with dynamic updates allowed. Run ipconfig
> /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns & net stop netlogon & net start
> netlogon. Chack the zone make sure all the records are created with
> netdiag /test:dns /v then change the zone to AD integrated and wait
> for it to replicate.
> ___________________________________________________-- and
> unfortunalty no luck i am almost at the point of a full os reinstall
>
> any help would be appreciated.

Post these: ipconfig /all (unedited)
AD Domain name from ADU&C
Name of forward lookup zones in DNS.