Windows 2000 DNS problem - help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a Windows 2000 DNS problem?

My company's Windows 2000 active directory domain name is xxxxx.com. Our
company website is also called xxxxx.com When we try to brows our webpage
on our network the page will not load in Internet Explorer and we get the
standard The page cannot be displayed error. I have done a nslookup on
xxxxx.com and it resolved to all our internal domain controllers. What
entry do I need to add to my DNS server so that people can brows our
external hosted website from our domain?

Many thanks.

Aaron Humperdoomperdink

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Since the internal Active Directory domain name is the same as the Internet
domain name you need to add an A record called www to the internal DNS zone
which maps www.xxxxx.com to the IP of the public web site.

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA

"Aaron Humperdoomperdink" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me with a Windows 2000 DNS problem?
>
> My company's Windows 2000 active directory domain name is xxxxx.com. Our
> company website is also called xxxxx.com When we try to brows our webpage
> on our network the page will not load in Internet Explorer and we get the
> standard The page cannot be displayed error. I have done a nslookup on
> xxxxx.com and it resolved to all our internal domain controllers. What
> entry do I need to add to my DNS server so that people can brows our
> external hosted website from our domain?

As Todd said in his post you need to add an A (Host)
record to the Internal (version of the) DNS Zone.

It needs to be for a different name than you domain:

www.domain.com

....the reason is that ALL DCs register the bare domain
name so YOUR internal users will not be able to use
that bare name, but must type the www prefix.

(Teach them to just type DOMAIN<ctrl-enter> if they
use IE.)

External users (on the Internet) will be able to use both
names.

Of course you web site must be able to respond on both
names but that is the usual practice anyway.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Aaron Humperdoomperdink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me with a Windows 2000 DNS problem?
>
> My company's Windows 2000 active directory domain name is xxxxx.com. Our
> company website is also called xxxxx.com When we try to brows
> our webpage on our network the page will not load in Internet
> Explorer and we get the standard The page cannot be displayed error. I
> have done a nslookup on xxxxx.com and it resolved to all our
> internal domain controllers. What entry do I need to add to my DNS
> server so that people can brows our external hosted website from our
> domain?
> Many thanks.
>
> Aaron Humperdoomperdink

You've got the www how-to answer taken care of between Todd and Herb.

If you want to get to it without www, make sure you create the www record as
suggested, then you can create a redirect for http://xxxx.com in the IIS
default website on all of your domain controllers to redirect to
www.xxxx.com.

Warning: DO NOT try to change the "xxxx.com" record in DNS because that is a
required AD record called the LdapIpAddress record, which certain AD
services require that record, such as GPOs and DFS. Use the redirect method
to make this work. If you do not want to do this, then tell everyone to
stick to the www.xxxx.com method.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

Hello Aaron,

Good to hear from you.

I understand that you want to make users in the internal domain browse the
external hosted website. I agree with Todd, Herb and Ace that we can add an
"A record" to achieve your goal. Thank you for all your efforts.

I just want to give some additional information. If there is a server in
the internal domain to host the website, we can add a "CNAME record" on the
DNS server. If the website is hosted by ISP, we can add an "A record".

Please refer to the following articles for more detailed information.

To add a host (A) resource record to a zone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windo
ws2000/en/advanced/help/sag_DNS_pro_AddHost.htm

168322 Creating a DNS Alias Record
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168322

If there is anything that I can help, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support