Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Key not valid?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 20, 2011 3:10:42 PM

I just built a new PC and am trying to put Windows 7 on as my OS. When I get to the part where it was me to type in my key, I get a message telling me that my key is invalid. I did the custom install, not the upgrade option, but on the package it is titled "Windows 7 Professional Upgrade License 32/64" and another one below it says "Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Student Media." I was under the impression from them that I was buying a version of Windows that I could install without previously having an OS. I bought this from my university so I thought I was good to go. Did I just buy the wrong thing, or am I doing something wrong?

More about : key valid

Best solution

May 20, 2011 4:53:29 PM

What does the word upgrade mean to you? It says right there that it is an upgrade license so what is the mystery? Is the issue here a lack of understand by what they mean when they call it an upgrade license?

Check out this link for more information.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+the+word+upgrade+mean
May 20, 2011 5:04:19 PM

The thing is I told them what I wanted and I figured being a computer store they would get me the right thing based on what I told them. I didn't fully see that it was an "upgrade" until after I got home. A simple explanation would have been suffice, no reason to get hostile here.
Score
Related resources
May 20, 2011 5:21:23 PM

hands said:
The thing is I told them what I wanted and I figured being a computer store they would get me the right thing based on what I told them. I didn't fully see that it was an "upgrade" until after I got home. A simple explanation would have been suffice, no reason to get hostile here.

I am not being hostile and I am sorry if I come across that way but you asked a question to which you clearly already knew the answer and I am trying to figure out why.
Score
a c 396 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 4:49:42 AM

Best answer selected by area51reopened.
Score
a c 396 $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 4:49:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!