Child domain

hi all,
i need to created a child domain for my company. here is the problem
1. i have delegated control to the child domain under dns
2. created primary dns server at the child domain
3. created secondary forward and reverse lookup zone for the parent domain
at the child domain, and the same at the parent.
i want to be able to use exchange at the parent domain, and have my clients
to connect to exchange directly not using pop3 or imap.
want to be able to browse the network from any domain, what i mean is, i
would like to connect form the parent domain and browse the child domain
network. this is not happening.

thank you,
kiko jimenez

kiko jimenez wrote:
> hi all,
> i need to created a child domain for my company. here is the problem
> 1. i have delegated control to the child domain under dns
> 2. created primary dns server at the child domain
> 3. created secondary forward and reverse lookup zone for the parent
> domain at the child domain, and the same at the parent.
> i want to be able to use exchange at the parent domain, and have my
> clients to connect to exchange directly not using pop3 or imap.
> want to be able to browse the network from any domain, what i mean
> is, i would like to connect form the parent domain and browse the
> child domain network. this is not happening.
>
> thank you,
> kiko jimenez

Browse? You mean Network Neighborhood (My Network Place)?

DNS has nothing to do with that. That's based on the Browser service, which
is based soley on NetBIOS. I assume your infrastructure has separate subnets
(or locations). If so, use WINS. Besides, Exchange 2000/2003 REQUIRES
NetBIOS for certain functionality anyway.

To comment on your #3, I believe this design is somewhat overkill, with all
due respect. If you are already delegating to the child DNS, there's no need
to create a secondary of the child at the parent DNS. And creating a
secondary of the parent on the child DNS is overkill, all you need to do is
configure a Forwarder back to the parent from each child DNS server. From
the parent DNS, configure a Forwarder to your ISP. This way resolution is
clean and efficient for internal and external names.

If this was 2003, we can even make it more efficient with the use of Stubs
(instead of delegation) and Conditional Forwarding.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

Thanks Ace for your input.

will there be any issues if the parent domain is a windows 2000 domain
running in native mode and the child domain 2003. will there be any conflict
with dns? if so, what would it be.

thanks

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eanKqDuRFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

kiko jimenez wrote:
> Thanks Ace for your input.
>
> will there be any issues if the parent domain is a windows 2000 domain
> running in native mode and the child domain 2003. will there be any
> conflict with dns? if so, what would it be.
>
> thanks

Yes, there will be problems. The Parent Root DC must be upgraded first,
especially the Domain Name Master, which is usually the first DC installed
in the forest (which is also your Schema master). If not, it will cause
issues with DNS zone replication scopes in 2003 because of the mismatch.

Once you upgrade that box, then you can upgrade the others, but keep in
mind, absolutely keep the rep scope to be compatible with 2000 until ALL the
DC/DNS servers have been upgraded. You may also need to re-configure or
create the delegated _msdcs zone in the Forest Root DC DNS server. More info
on that here:

817470 - HOW TO Reconfigure an _msdcs Subdomain to a Forest-wide DNS
Application Directory Partition When You Upgrade from Win2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817470

Ace

thanks ace,

now, how to i work aroung the browsing problem? this is very important to
me. as my company will be sharing resources between domain.

message news:Oy1eSGUSFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

kiko jimenez wrote:
> thanks ace,
>
> now, how to i work aroung the browsing problem? this is very
> important to me. as my company will be sharing resources between
> domain.

WINS is the answer. Are you using WINS?

Ace

hi ace,
no we i'm not using wins. any otehr suggestion
message news:ubKihv6SFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

kiko jimenez wrote:
> hi ace,
> no we i'm not using wins. any otehr suggestion

WINS is as easy as DNS to setup, install WINS and add it to your DHCP scope.
Put a WINS server on each subnet and set them to replicate with each other.
DNS won't help Network places, WINS will.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

kiko jimenez wrote:
> hi ace,
> no we i'm not using wins. any otehr suggestion

Sorry, as I mentioned, as well as Kevin, you NEED WINS to make this work. NO
other way.

Ace

thank you guys,

WINS did the trick.