PDC Domain Name = website domain

Hi,

I'm quite new concerning configuring DNS.
Have the following problem (Possibly there's a straightforward answer to
this)

I have a domain controller installed (address = 192.168.99.99) with domain
name "example.be", also DNS server.
The connection through internet is going through a cable-modem-router (now
with firewall disabled) with address 192.168.99.1

Preferred DNS server on the client is 192.168.99.99 and alternate DNS is
192.168.99.1 (in router)

I can visit every internet site, except www.example.be

When I change the preferred DNS server to the old one (router)
192.168.99.1, everything works fine, but that's not what I want.

Probably, I have to add something in the DC-DNS server, but I don't know
what exactly...

many thanks,
Frank Lommelen.

Maybe I forgot to tell :

www.example.be is on the server by my ISP.
When I do an nslookup, I know the IP address of the server where the
website is installed, but when I type in the IP in the address bar of IE,
the page cannot be found, which is probably normal....

thanks,
Frank Lommelen.

Frank Lommelen via WinServerKB.com wrote:
> Maybe I forgot to tell :
>
> www.example.be is on the server by my ISP.
> When I do an nslookup, I know the IP address of the server where the
> website is installed, but when I type in the IP in the address bar of
> IE, the page cannot be found, which is probably normal....
>
> thanks,
> Frank Lommelen.

Use the DNS management console to open the example.de forward lookup zone,
right click in the zone, select new host from the list, name it www give it
the IP of the website.
The reason you cannot access it by the IP address is that it probably uses a
host header. That requires the name of the site before it can be displayed
because there are likely several web sites on the same IP address.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Jonathan

Kevin, I have got a similar problem to the above and have done what you
sugested here and the server can access the web site, but the clients can not.

An anomally that I don't quite understand is that the users are logging into
a domain callet xyz but the AD does not have the same name, and neither does
the DNS.

If I try to open domain xyz in AD it just opens the other domain with the
defferent name.

I can get around the issue by adding an external DNS to DHCP for clients but
the whole scenario of the hosted web site having the same name as the active
directory seems like a mistake, and the clients loging into a different named
domain than what is in AD also does not seem right.

Jonathan

Jonathan wrote:
> Kevin, I have got a similar problem to the above and have done what
> you sugested here and the server can access the web site, but the
> clients can not.
>
> An anomally that I don't quite understand is that the users are
> logging into a domain callet xyz but the AD does not have the same
> name, and neither does the DNS.

Check to see if you have a Root "." forward lookup zone, if you do delete
it. This enables root hints to the internet root, it also allows you to
enable a forwarder. You should never allow domain members access to a DNS
server that does not support the AD domain, all must use the AD DNS server.
No external DNS server is allowed in any position, on any interface,
including dial up interfaces.

> If I try to open domain xyz in AD it just opens the other domain with
> the defferent name.
>
> I can get around the issue by adding an external DNS to DHCP for
> clients but the whole scenario of the hosted web site having the same
> name as the active directory seems like a mistake, and the clients
> loging into a different named domain than what is in AD also does not
> seem right.

Mistake? Not really, but you do have to keep in mind you will have to add
the records to the internal DNS for sites using the same domain name. The
only record you can't change is the one for the domain name. The domain name
record must point to the IP address(es) of the domain controllers for the
Sysvol DFS share \\domainname\sysvol. So in that respect, it could be
considered a mistake and is why I usually recommend using a third level
domain name.

--?