Redirecting a DNS request

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have an internal web site and an external website that access the same SQL
database. The internal site's domain name is db1.mycompany.internal. My
external site's domain name is db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to
redirect my local users when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the
internal address (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use
the "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com" zone on
my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal IP address and
this worked, but any other requests stopped (page cannot be displayed), i.e.
www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc. I want the db1 to resovle on my
internal DNS server but all other names in the zone be resolved on the
off-site DNS server. Can this happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS
files...

--
B. Knight
MCSE, MCP, CCA
3 answers Last reply
More about redirecting request
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    B. Knight wrote:
    > I have an internal web site and an external website that access the
    > same SQL database. The internal site's domain name is
    > db1.mycompany.internal. My external site's domain name is
    > db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to redirect my local users
    > when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the internal address
    > (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use the
    > "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
    > mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
    > requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com"
    > zone on my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal
    > IP address and this worked, but any other requests stopped (page
    > cannot be displayed), i.e. www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc.
    > I want the db1 to resovle on my internal DNS server but all other
    > names in the zone be resolved on the off-site DNS server. Can this
    > happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS files...

    Delete the mycompany.com zone, then create a new zone named
    "db1.mycompany.com", then create a new host, leave the name field blank and
    give it the local IP address of the DB server.
    (don't slap your head to hard) :)

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
    via your newsreader so that others may learn and
    benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
    me remove the nospam. from my email address.
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    It will strip signature out and more
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    ===================================
    Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    with OEBackup:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    ===================================
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    This worked; Tx a million!!!!
    (the slap in the head really hurt!!!!)

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > B. Knight wrote:
    > > I have an internal web site and an external website that access the
    > > same SQL database. The internal site's domain name is
    > > db1.mycompany.internal. My external site's domain name is
    > > db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to redirect my local users
    > > when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the internal address
    > > (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use the
    > > "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
    > > mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
    > > requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com"
    > > zone on my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal
    > > IP address and this worked, but any other requests stopped (page
    > > cannot be displayed), i.e. www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc.
    > > I want the db1 to resovle on my internal DNS server but all other
    > > names in the zone be resolved on the off-site DNS server. Can this
    > > happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS files...
    >
    > Delete the mycompany.com zone, then create a new zone named
    > "db1.mycompany.com", then create a new host, leave the name field blank and
    > give it the local IP address of the DB server.
    > (don't slap your head to hard) :)
    >
    > --Â?
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
    > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
    > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
    > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    > ===================================
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    > with OEBackup:
    > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    > ===================================
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    B. Knight wrote:
    > This worked; Tx a million!!!!
    > (the slap in the head really hurt!!!!)

    Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for all the trees in the way.


    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
    via your newsreader so that others may learn and
    benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
    me remove the nospam. from my email address.
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    It will strip signature out and more
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    ===================================
    Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
    with OEBackup:
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    ===================================
Ask a new question

Read More

DNS Server DNS Domain Name Windows