Redirecting a DNS request

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 22, 2005 3:00:07 PM

I have an internal web site and an external website that access the same SQL
database. The internal site's domain name is db1.mycompany.internal. My
external site's domain name is db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to
redirect my local users when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the
internal address (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use
the "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com" zone on
my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal IP address and
this worked, but any other requests stopped (page cannot be displayed), i.e.
www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc. I want the db1 to resovle on my
internal DNS server but all other names in the zone be resolved on the
off-site DNS server. Can this happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS
files...

--
B. Knight
MCSE, MCP, CCA

B. Knight wrote:
> I have an internal web site and an external website that access the
> same SQL database. The internal site's domain name is
> db1.mycompany.internal. My external site's domain name is
> db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to redirect my local users
> when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the internal address
> (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use the
> "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
> mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
> requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com"
> zone on my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal
> IP address and this worked, but any other requests stopped (page
> cannot be displayed), i.e. www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc.
> I want the db1 to resovle on my internal DNS server but all other
> names in the zone be resolved on the off-site DNS server. Can this
> happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS files...

Delete the mycompany.com zone, then create a new zone named
"db1.mycompany.com", then create a new host, leave the name field blank and
give it the local IP address of the DB server.
(don't slap your head to hard) :)

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:12:46 PM

This worked; Tx a million!!!!
(the slap in the head really hurt!!!!)

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> B. Knight wrote:
> > I have an internal web site and an external website that access the
> > same SQL database. The internal site's domain name is
> > db1.mycompany.internal. My external site's domain name is
> > db1.mycompany.com. I want my DNS server to redirect my local users
> > when they use the "db1.mycompany.com" address to the internal address
> > (under curtain cirumstances my internal users have to use the
> > "db1.mycompany.com" address). I have an A/D DNS server for the
> > mycompnay.internal zone. My DNS server forwards any internet (public)
> > requests to a public DNS server off site. I created a "mycompany.com"
> > zone on my DNS server and added an (A) record "db1" to the internal
> > IP address and this worked, but any other requests stopped (page
> > cannot be displayed), i.e. www.mycompany.com, db2.mycompany.com, etc.
> > I want the db1 to resovle on my internal DNS server but all other
> > names in the zone be resolved on the off-site DNS server. Can this
> > happen? If so, How? I do not want to use HOSTS files...
>
> Delete the mycompany.com zone, then create a new zone named
> "db1.mycompany.com", then create a new host, leave the name field blank and
> give it the local IP address of the DB server.
> (don't slap your head to hard) :)
>
> --Â?
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:43:20 PM

B. Knight wrote:
> This worked; Tx a million!!!!
> (the slap in the head really hurt!!!!)

Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for all the trees in the way.

--?
!