Strange...

Here is the story:
Host hA, host hB and server SA are in the very same subnet and are in the
very same cabling system. The Domain is a Windows 2000 Active Directory
domain and it's the 3rd level domain from the root domain. (To simplify the
matter, say the FQDN of the host hA is: hA.myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com)
The network settings such as Subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server are all
the same for all nodes. Here is the problem: few, say 3 out of 50 nodes,
can't ping the server SA by name. For example:

Host hA tried to ping server SA (member server of a Windows 2000 domain) by
name. Get timed out. e.g:
C:\>Ping SA
Pinging SA.FDomain.GDomain.com [192.168.10.47] with 32 bites of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
(Note: SA was not appended to MyDomain... and the 192.168.10.47 is NOT the
SA IP addr)

Yet when host hB ping the SA server, it gets replay:
Ping SA
Pinging SA.MyDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com [192.168.10.49] with 32 bites of
data:
Repliy from 192.168.10.47: bites=32 time<1ms TTL=128
(Please note that pinging the SA from hB gets the info from the true
settings of server SA with the right FQDN and the true IP address:
192.168.10.49 but the pinging from hA was not.)

I had cleared the DNS cache and netbios cache on all machines involve. I had
checked the 'A record' on the DNS server for server SA and it's correctly
registered (192.168.10.49). Yet the problem remain. Could anybody tell me
what seams to be the matter with hA (or any other reason that may have
caused the problem)? Thank you.

Fan

Fan Fan wrote:
> Here is the story:
> Host hA, host hB and server SA are in the very same subnet and are
> in the very same cabling system. The Domain is a Windows 2000 Active
> Directory domain and it's the 3rd level domain from the root domain.
> (To simplify the matter, say the FQDN of the host hA is:
> hA.myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com) The network settings such as Subnet
> mask, gateway, and DNS server are all the same for all nodes. Here
> is the problem: few, say 3 out of 50 nodes, can't ping the server SA
> by name. For example:
>
> Host hA tried to ping server SA (member server of a Windows 2000
> domain) by name. Get timed out. e.g:
> C:\>Ping SA
> Pinging SA.FDomain.GDomain.com [192.168.10.47] with 32 bites of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> (Note: SA was not appended to MyDomain... and the 192.168.10.47 is
> NOT the SA IP addr)

Apparently this machine does not have the correct DNS Suffix search list.
In the ipconfig /all is MyDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com in its DNS Suffix
search list?

> Yet when host hB ping the SA server, it gets replay:
> Ping SA
> Pinging SA.MyDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com [192.168.10.49] with 32 bites
> of data:
> Repliy from 192.168.10.47: bites=32 time<1ms TTL=128
> (Please note that pinging the SA from hB gets the info from the true
> settings of server SA with the right FQDN and the true IP address:
> 192.168.10.49 but the pinging from hA was not.)
>
> I had cleared the DNS cache and netbios cache on all machines
> involve. I had checked the 'A record' on the DNS server for server SA
> and it's correctly registered (192.168.10.49). Yet the problem
> remain. Could anybody tell me what seams to be the matter with hA (or
> any other reason that may have caused the problem)? Thank you.

It is your DNS suffix search list, it is either incorrect or incorrectly
ordered.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Kevin,

Thank you so much for the reply.
1) Yes, the DNS search order are the same on all nodes: here is the output
of one of the nodes:
C:\>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hA
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
FDomain.GDomain.com
GDomain.com
2) Again, all network configuration are the SAME for all nodes.
3) 90% of hosts gets to SA by name ok. ONLY few are having problem

Please help again.

Fan

Fan Fan wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Thank you so much for the reply.
> 1) Yes, the DNS search order are the same on all nodes: here is the
> output
> of one of the nodes:
> C:\>ipconfig /all
> Windows IP Configuration
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hA
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
> myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
>
> myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
>
> FDomain.GDomain.com
> GDomain.com
> 2) Again, all network configuration are the SAME for all nodes.
> 3) 90% of hosts gets to SA by name ok. ONLY few are having problem

Is it necessary for all these DNS suffixes to be searched?
Did you try de-selecting the box on the DNS tab "Append parent suffixes of
the primary DNS suffix" This can be done in a group policy on XP and Win2k3
clients only.
You have to edit the group policy from a XP or Win2k3 client to enable this
policy if your DC is Win2k.
Computer Configuration
-Administrative Templates
-Network
-DNS Client
-Primary DNS Suffix Devolution (Disabled)

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

hi Kevin,

To us, yes, we need to connect to servers that are in the parent domains.
Let say if I want to search for ServerX that is in the FDomain, of cause it
would not find it in the myDomain.FDomain.GDomain.com
but would find it in FDomain.GDomain.com. Anyway, it got to be something
cause that problem yet I just can not find out what it is.

Fan