Sign in with
Your question

GA-965P-DQ6 boot issues

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2006 2:14:02 AM

I have an E6600 in a gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 mobo, however i seem to be having nothing but intermittant problems with it.
On the occasions i can get to win xp it will sometimes just reboot, this seems to be completely random and bears no relationship to what the computer is doing. There is no blue screen just a cold reboot. As far as i can see the temperature is well within limits, 25-30C, sometimes it happens when surfing the web sometimes when installing software.
Then the fun really starts.
Sometimes it will not even get past the bios entry option, It will check the ram say its ok then stop, sometimes it tells me the ram is interleaved then stop, sometimes it gets to the ide devices part the stop, sometimes it will go as far as the pci devices listing section then stop (when i say it stops, thats exactly what it does, no reboot just the same screen usually with a blinking cursor). On occasions it will nearly get into windows then reboots.
I have tried the ram in different slots, even got memtest86 to run for 4 hours and it found no errors.
I don't think heat is a problem, i have updated the bios to the latest F3 version, the memory seems to be working fine and the power supply should be more than adequate.
One question though is should the 4 pin molex that is described as "extra power" for the pci express slot be plugged in if i am running a single 7900gt with a 6 pin pci-e power cable plugged in?
Any help much appreciated, this is driving me nuts.
I have just updated the bios to the F4a version and the same thing is happenning, i got in updated the bios, restarted fine, installed an update restarted and locked up at the pci devices stage, restarted and couldn't even get into the bios menu?

More about : 965p dq6 boot issues

August 21, 2006 2:19:33 AM

Hopefully my sig should show with my system specs now.
August 21, 2006 2:38:49 AM

yes that 4 pin molex should be plugged in. i dont know what else would be wrong with it but like the guy before me suggested try it outside the case. if that dosent work one thing i would guess is the momory even though memtest 86 said it was ok. not really sure though.
Related resources
August 26, 2006 7:12:16 PM

Well despite the memtest proving to be no problem, It seems that one of the memory sticks was bad, i removed it and no problemo.
It must have serious problems because newegg have removed it from sale.
For those interested it was :
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

There were quite a few others in the reviews that had recieved one bad stick as well.
Now i have to go through the pain of RMA'ing it, I cannot believe that Newegg do not cross-ship non functional parts.
August 27, 2006 3:03:00 PM

Quote:
Well despite the memtest proving to be no problem, It seems that one of the memory sticks was bad, i removed it and no problemo.
It must have serious problems because newegg have removed it from sale.
For those interested it was :
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

There were quite a few others in the reviews that had recieved one bad stick as well.
Now i have to go through the pain of RMA'ing it, I cannot believe that Newegg do not cross-ship non functional parts.

Thats a bummer. If thats the CL5 version, mines worked without any issues.

As for rma'ing on newegg, I had a defected ocz stick. It was faster for me to rma for refund and order xms2 stick, than rma for replacement. Given youre not strapped for funds...
August 28, 2006 4:21:29 PM

Uhoh, thats the same memory Im using. The only time I have had reboots though is when playing a certain game when I had it overclocked or memory set correctly. Either Gigabyte or Corsair have messed up somewhere.
August 30, 2006 2:45:06 PM

Did you try bumping the memory voltage up to 1.975? It should be a lot more stable and the memory may not be bad after all. If it still gives you problems then go through the RMA crap.

Some models are 1.9v and others are 2.1. To be sure go here Corsair XMS2 Memory and click on your specific memory to check out the specs.
!