How much should I price this sytem?

pmjbutler

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Hi:

I'm wanting to sell my system and I was wondering what would be a fair price to sell it at (CAD). Here are the system specs:

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 3000
MOBO - ABIT NF7 v2
MEMORY - 2 x 512 mb & 1 x 1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
VIDEO - XFX GeForce 6600 GT - 128mg
HD - Maxtor 80 gig - ATA/133
OPTICAL - LG 4082B DVD[+/-]r 8x-4x-12x
COOLING - Kingwin Arctic Liquid Cooler - Self-Contained CPU and VGA Liquid Cooling System
PSU - Ultra 500w
CASE - Generic Case - will upgrade it if you think it's a good idea

I think that's everything, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Phil

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi:

I'm wanting to sell my system and I was wondering what would be a fair price to sell it at (CAD). Here are the system specs:

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 3000
MOBO - ABIT NF7 v2
MEMORY - 2 x 512 mb & 1 x 1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200
VIDEO - XFX GeForce 6600 GT - 128mg
HD - Maxtor 80 gig - ATA/133
OPTICAL - LG 4082B DVD[+/-]r 8x-4x-12x
COOLING - Kingwin Arctic Liquid Cooler - Self-Contained CPU and VGA Liquid Cooling System
PSU - Ultra 500w
CASE - Generic Case - will upgrade it if you think it's a good idea

I think that's everything, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Phil

I would guess around $400-500. Used computers lose value quickly especially with how cheap new compents are nowadays.

Mondoman

Splendid
I would suggest taking a look on eBay and perhaps parting out and selling separately the following components:
1) Either the 2x512 or 1x1G RAM, whichever would sell for more on its own. With the Corsair XMS name, you should be able to get a decent price for it, especially if you write a good ad.
2) The liquid cooling system.

The rationale is that people who want a system w/2GB RAM will consider the 2+1 sticks a little weird, whereas with just one or the other, the can buy whatever they want to "complete" it.
On the liquid cooling, potential buyers will take that as a sign that the system has been a hard-core OC gaming system and perhaps won't be as reliable, or they just don't want to deal w/liquid cooling (e.g. parents buying system for kid going off to college).
Just like with modded cars, if you take out and sell the non-mainstream parts separately, and put the mainstream/OEM parts back on, you'll have more potential customers for each sale and make more money.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I agree with Mondo, you'd be better off parting and selling them separately. I think if you tried to keep it together you won't get more than $400 considering for $800 - $1000 you can get a decent C2D system which outperforms your current system by much more than double.

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hey another Phil! I appreciate this question because I have been looking at ditching some systems/parts I have laying around, and this will help me get off my big butt!

Phil