Network Cabling & Wall Plugs

Hi

I've run some cat5 down my house and I need to put rj45 wall plugs on each
end... I have the plugs, but it's incredibly difficult to attach the cable
to them...
They're a pretty standard plug... The cable goes into two plastic bits,
where some metal fins pierce the plastic and connect with the wires....
Is there a trick or something to connecting these? Seems a lot of force is
required to push the wires into place... They seems to break often...

TIA

- David Angelovich

David Angelovich wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've run some cat5 down my house and I need to put rj45 wall plugs on each
> end... I have the plugs, but it's incredibly difficult to attach the cable
> to them...
> They're a pretty standard plug... The cable goes into two plastic bits,
> where some metal fins pierce the plastic and connect with the wires....
> Is there a trick or something to connecting these? Seems a lot of force is
> required to push the wires into place... They seems to break often...

There's a device called a "punchdown tool". The one that you need for most
but not all brands of CAT5 and higher jacks has a "110 blade". In the US
the major brand is Harris/Drakon, with Ideal also good. Don't know what
brand you'll find Down Under.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks very much.... should make it much easier!

David Angelovich wrote:

> Hi

> I've run some cat5 down my house and I need to put rj45 wall plugs on
> each
> end... I have the plugs, but it's incredibly difficult to attach the
> cable
> to them...
> They're a pretty standard plug... The cable goes into two plastic bits,

> where some metal fins pierce the plastic and connect with the wires....
> Is there a trick or something to connecting these? Seems a lot of force
> is
> required to push the wires into place... They seems to break often...

> TIA

> - David Angelovich

Hi David,

They actually call "wall plugs" jacks as to avoid confusion with plugs
that you have on the ends of a patch cord. Anyways, as John suggested here
you might need a punch-down tool. One other possibility would be to look
at the dust cap that came with the jack. Many manufacturers have the dust
cap designed so that it acts like some sort of push-down tool when you
press on it or squeeze with pliers. It has ribs protruding from the cap
exactly where your conductors would be, so, when you press on the cap, it
pushes wires in place.

Check yours out, maybe you'll get lucky and your dust caps can be used as
such tool.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 5691 messages and counting!