Occassional/Unpredictable DNS Lookup failure

Occassionally over the course of the day, when I do a DNS "A" record
lookup for any given domain, I will get a failure due to timeout.

I am using an in-house program that uses Windows Sockets to query the
DNS server.

The error message that I get back is:

Windows Error: 11002, Detail: This is usually a temporary error during
hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a
response from an authoritative server.

Is this normal? Should I just ignore this error since it is
"temporary"?
5 answers Last reply
More about occassional unpredictable lookup failure

    The program is internal to our company - not using nslookup. The
    program uses Windows Sockets to query the DNS for an A record of the
    hostname.

    The main point of the problem is that the DNS server will occassionally
    timeout/not respond. The output of the response is not as important as
    the fact that querying the server is the problem.

    Q: How can I tell you if it it the DNS server or the program?
    A: I cannot be certain if it is the program or the DNS server.

    To determine if our program is the problem, I have replaced our
    internal DNS querying component, which uses Winsock, with two
    commerically available components for DNS (from Dart and /n software).
    Both fail, not with the same error message, but with the same
    regularity.

    This might lead one to believe that the problem with with the DNS
    server; therefore, I tried 4 different DNS servers in different
    locations and on different networks, all unrelated. Same problem.

    Tests
    Component server1 server2 server3 server4
    Winsock failed failed failed failed
    Dart PowerTCP failed failed failed failed
    /n Software IP*Works failed failed failed failed

    Q: Does the program append the DNS suffixes?
    A: I'm sorry but I don't know what that means.

    Q: It could be the server, but it could also be something else. Is
    there any
    reason for you to believe the DNS server is overloaded. Do you have
    just one
    DNS server?
    A: No reason to believe that the server is overloaded. I have tried my
    own DNS server and others with the same result. Tests have been
    conducted around the clock and the problem occurs at various times of
    the day with no correlation to server usage.

    Q: Forwarders enabled?
    A: Don't know. If forwarders are enabled, what would this tell me?

    Q: Is it the only one defined in TCP/IP properties.
    A: I am explicitly querying a particular DNS server in each instance
    test.

    My original question regarding, "Winsock Error: 11002, Detail: This is
    usually a temporary error during hostname resolution and means that the
    local server did not receive a response from an authoritative server. "

    Q: Is this normal? Or in other words, should I just learn to live with
    this?

    thodgson@gmail.com wrote:
    > Occassionally over the course of the day, when I do a DNS "A" record
    > lookup for any given domain, I will get a failure due to timeout.
    >
    > I am using an in-house program that uses Windows Sockets to query the
    > DNS server.
    >
    > The error message that I get back is:
    >
    > Windows Error: 11002, Detail: This is usually a temporary error during
    > hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a
    > response from an authoritative server.
    >
    > Is this normal? Should I just ignore this error since it is
    > "temporary"?

    What is the program?
    Are you querying for a FQDN or a host name?
    Some programs, like nslookup will append the DNS suffix search list and
    allow you to look up single-label host names. Others, like Dig and Netdiag
    won't append the suffixes, so you can't do single-label host name lookups
    with them.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    thodgson@gmail.com wrote:
    > The program is internal to our company - not using nslookup. The
    > program uses Windows Sockets to query the DNS for an A record of the
    > hostname.
    >
    > The main point of the problem is that the DNS server will
    > occassionally timeout/not respond. The output of the response is not
    > as important as the fact that querying the server is the problem.

    How can I tell you if it it the DNS server or the program?
    Does the program append the DNS suffixes?
    It could be the server, but it could also be something else. Is there any
    reason for you to believe the DNS server is overloaded. Do you have just one
    DNS server?
    Forwarders enabled?

    thodgson@gmail.com wrote:
    > Q: How can I tell you if it it the DNS server or the program?
    > A: I cannot be certain if it is the program or the DNS server.
    >
    > To determine if our program is the problem, I have replaced our
    > internal DNS querying component, which uses Winsock, with two
    > commerically available components for DNS (from Dart and /n software).
    > Both fail, not with the same error message, but with the same
    > regularity.
    >
    > This might lead one to believe that the problem with with the DNS
    > server; therefore, I tried 4 different DNS servers in different
    > locations and on different networks, all unrelated. Same problem.
    >
    > Tests
    > Component server1 server2 server3 server4
    > Winsock failed failed failed failed
    > Dart PowerTCP failed failed failed failed
    > /n Software IP*Works failed failed failed failed
    >

    > Q: Does the program append the DNS suffixes?
    > A: I'm sorry but I don't know what that means.

    If the Windows DNS client queries DNS for non-fully qualified name ending in
    a trailing dot, the DNS client service appends the name in the DNS Suffix
    search list (See your ipconfig /all for your DNS suffix search list) Not all
    applications use the DNS suffix search list, for example nslookup does, Dig
    and Netdig do not.
    If you want to see how this works use nslookup -d2 host
    Nslookup will append "host" with the DNS suffixes in the DNS suffix search
    list, e.g. if domain.com is in the DNS suffix search list nslookup will
    query the default DNS server for host.domain.com.
    If you use nslookup -d2 host. (Notice the trailing dot) you will get server
    fail because it sends a name to DNS that DNS cannot recurse because there is
    no authoritative DNS servers for the name(host).(unless you for the name
    host and are using an alternate root servers such as the ORSC Root, host is
    a valid TLD in the ORSC Root)

    > Q: It could be the server, but it could also be something else. Is
    > there any
    > reason for you to believe the DNS server is overloaded. Do you have
    > just one
    > DNS server?
    > A: No reason to believe that the server is overloaded. I have tried
    > my own DNS server and others with the same result. Tests have been
    > conducted around the clock and the problem occurs at various times of
    > the day with no correlation to server usage.
    >
    > Q: Forwarders enabled?
    > A: Don't know. If forwarders are enabled, what would this tell me?

    It would tell me if your DNS server will attempt to resolve
    non-authoritative names itself, or send the query to a forwarder to be
    resolved.

    > Q: Is it the only one defined in TCP/IP properties.
    > A: I am explicitly querying a particular DNS server in each instance
    > test.
    >

    > My original question regarding, "Winsock Error: 11002, Detail: This is
    > usually a temporary error during hostname resolution and means that
    > the local server did not receive a response from an authoritative
    > server. "
    >
    > Q: Is this normal? Or in other words, should I just learn to live
    > with this?

    It would depend on the query and the application that you are using to do
    the resolution. I'm afraid you haven't given us much to go on. Do you get
    the same response using nslookup querying the same name?
    Are you querying against an authoritative DNS for the host name?
    Once again are you querying for a single-label host name or Fully qualified
    name?

    What all this comes down to is, your application obviously returns the exact
    error from DNS, and to tell you if it should be ignored depends on the
    algorythym the application uses to query DNS. To say it is normal, without
    knowing all the facts would be wrong for me. I don't even know what the name
    is you are querying for, that could be a big factor.
    If you were using nslookup, Dig or Netdig and I knew the exact name you were
    querying for, I might be able give you an answer. Because I understand most
    of what these applications return for a certain query.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps