DNS zone delegation question

Ziek

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004

I'm just wondering if this the following situation will work:

Clients/Member servers point to DNS MASTER server 1 and server 2, and all
have hostnames of "company.com" , because the Master DNS servers are
authoritative for "company.com" . All the clients are also part of an NT4
domain.

We are now going to in-place upgrade this NT4 domain into AD2003, however,
the clients will still be pointing to the master DNS servers. The new
active directory domain name will be called "company.net" , and this zone
will created on the Master DNS servers, but delegated to the AD DC's.

Will everything work fine with such a setup? Clients will still seem to
have hostnames of "client.company.com" yet be members of an AD domain called
"company.net" ..

Ziek wrote:
> I'm just wondering if this the following situation will work:
>
> Clients/Member servers point to DNS MASTER server 1 and server 2, and
> all have hostnames of "company.com" , because the Master DNS servers
> are authoritative for "company.com" . All the clients are also part
> of an NT4 domain.
>
> We are now going to in-place upgrade this NT4 domain into AD2003,
> however, the clients will still be pointing to the master DNS
> servers. The new active directory domain name will be called
> "company.net" , and this zone will created on the Master DNS servers,
> but delegated to the AD DC's.
>
> Will everything work fine with such a setup? Clients will still seem
> to have hostnames of "client.company.com" yet be members of an AD
> domain called "company.net" ..

If I'm reading your question right, no.
All members of the AD domain must point to the DNS servers that support the
AD domain. Preferably the DCs should host the AD domain because the zone can
be integrated into Active Directory and are therefore more secure.
NT4 only has minimal support for AD, if it is SP6a, but they do not support
DDNS. You can forward to the other DNS servers, either for all external
queries or use conditional forwarder for the domains that are on the other
DNS servers.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]