Hard drive Crashed and...

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
and it was the drive that my operating system was installed on. When I bought Windows 7 I bought the Home Premium Upgrade pack. Now the drive is dead how do I re-install Windows onto my new drive?...if no other Windows software is on my computer which it isn't now the drives dead it won't allow me to install Windows 7 will it?... :heink:

Solution
You would have to have XP or Vista installed first then install Win 7 but do a clean install instead of an upgrade. You may have a problem with the key code not being valid because you are installing on a new hard drive. If you do you can call Microsoft and they will help you get a new ID number.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
You would have to have XP or Vista installed first then install Win 7 but do a clean install instead of an upgrade. You may have a problem with the key code not being valid because you are installing on a new hard drive. If you do you can call Microsoft and they will help you get a new ID number.

Solution

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I phoned Microsoft when I got the reply here. The first time I did it though my phone ran out of credit after waiting to be answered for 7 minutes. I tried to email them but when I entered my product code I got the following message:

The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected. Enter another product ID number or select a different support option below.

Which didn't make much sense seeing as I'd selected UK and I bought the product from amazon.co.uk.

I just phoned them again and I'm glad I did. That must have been THE most helpful no nonsense helpline I've ever used. I was cut off mid conversation and was rung back immediately too. I'm waiting for some parts for my new build so they are going to ring me back when they arrive!.
Thanks for suggesting I ring. It's not sorted out yet but I'm very optimistic that it will be.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

I am sorry you had such a bad time with Micosoft. Go to this link and see if it will help you. I hope it will.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer

TRENDING THREADS