Ati's RD600 looking promising

alpine_sc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/931/3/page_3_overclocking_conroe_on_rd600/index.html

Even during half way through our benchmarking, physically touching the chipset by hand, it barely even felt warm.
8)

Not only this, but the big shock is RD600 was designed for the ground up to support not only DDR-2 but also upcoming DDR-3 memory. In fact, ATI has already fully tested DDR-3 memory on RD600 and it is working fine, months ahead of before it is due to be released for public consumption.

Sweet!

Since DDR-3 memory uses a different slot to DDR-2, you won’t be able to use new DDR-3 memory on current RD600 motherboards you buy this year or early next year. As well as the new memory slot, our friends in the bunker also told us that a new PCB design is required but it only requires a very small change to the internal circuitry – nothing too complex.

Nooo........

They dropped the multiplier of the E6300 down to 6 and got the FSB up to 440, but the CPU overheated and throttled down, so I'm sure it can go higher than that.

If the Ati Xpress 3200 Intel Edition becomes a hit; that would mean Ati would make a profit from Intel's Conroe, and AMD is buying ATI! Ironic. :lol:

Jdawg683

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
i cant wait to see production models of this. it seems quite promising. imagine a review b/w this chipset and the 965 of the Gigabyte DQ6 board 8O

burntham77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
From what I have read, there were delays getting the parts for the new South Bridge. Also, ATI tends to be slow to get motherboard chipsets out. It also might have something to do with their upcoming chipset that features three PCIe x16 slots (the idea being 2 for graphics and a third for physics).

I am greatly looking forward to what A-bit and MSI bring us.