Sign in with
Your question

Where to get started when converting VHS to DVD.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2006 4:42:50 AM

I need to convert VHS to DVD. However, I would like the VHS to be brought to the Hard Drive of my computer and then edited. The VHS tapes are just favorite shows on TV but the commercials can be edited out which will save on DVD space. Also, some VHS tapes have already some snowy like pictures because of poor Coaxial connections to my VCR recorder. Where should I get started and what equipment do you think that is needed to do the job.

PC magazine just did a review on moving VHS tapes to DVD and suggested Analog Input to DV format and then editing seems to be easy. They suggest the Canopus ADVC300 for the best quality when converting video. The product is listed on the Video Guys website for about $450. They also suggest using S-video when doing the conversions. However, all my VCR's have only composite video. Will the quality be much better to use Svideo for my conversions to the DV format. Also, is the Canopus ADVC300 the best product for what I am trying to do. Remember, some of my video is quite poor due to poor connections or it could be just bad VHS tapes that need to be replaced due to prolonged use.

Currently, I own a Pentium III (1Ghz) pc. Is this enough CPU power to get the job done when it comes to editing video. I have 512mb of ram and own an 80gb harddrive. If not, then I can always upgrade. However, if this pc will work, then I would like to try an upgrade first.

Finally, I plan to record all VHS video on DVD dual layer media. All of the VHS footage was recorded in EP mode which of course allows 6 hours of video. Currently, the dual layer media will record 4hrs SP mode. While single layer media will only record 2hrs SP mode. Of course, I am figuring that cutting out the commercials on these tapes will cut down many 6hr VHS tapes to around 4-5hrs respectively. It seems to me Dual Layer media is the best choice today for price and digital quality. However, is this statement really true. Or would I be better off to record the VHS tapes on some other media such as blue ray or HD-DVD. Also, it looks like DVD dual layer media will drop in price significantly once HD-DVD is on the market. ALso, I am trying to cut down on space as well. With over hundreds of video tapes, I am simply running out of space to store these kind of items. Therefore, the more hours on a DVD disk without sacrificing quality is preferred. This way storage space can go down but all the great shows can be preserved for future generations of my family.
August 21, 2006 5:10:54 AM

Quote:
I need to convert VHS to DVD. However, I would like the VHS to be brought to the Hard Drive of my computer and then edited. The VHS tapes are just favorite shows on TV but the commercials can be edited out which will save on DVD space. Also, some VHS tapes have already some snowy like pictures because of poor Coaxial connections to my VCR recorder. Where should I get started and what equipment do you think that is needed to do the job.

PC magazine just did a review on moving VHS tapes to DVD and suggested Analog Input to DV format and then editing seems to be easy. They suggest the Canopus ADVC300 for the best quality when converting video. The product is listed on the Video Guys website for about $450. They also suggest using S-video when doing the conversions. However, all my VCR's have only composite video. Will the quality be much better to use Svideo for my conversions to the DV format. Also, is the Canopus ADVC300 the best product for what I am trying to do. Remember, some of my video is quite poor due to poor connections or it could be just bad VHS tapes that need to be replaced due to prolonged use.

Currently, I own a Pentium III (1Ghz) pc. Is this enough CPU power to get the job done when it comes to editing video. I have 512mb of ram and own an 80gb harddrive. If not, then I can always upgrade. However, if this pc will work, then I would like to try an upgrade first.

Finally, I plan to record all VHS video on DVD dual layer media. All of the VHS footage was recorded in EP mode which of course allows 6 hours of video. Currently, the dual layer media will record 4hrs SP mode. While single layer media will only record 2hrs SP mode. Of course, I am figuring that cutting out the commercials on these tapes will cut down many 6hr VHS tapes to around 4-5hrs respectively. It seems to me Dual Layer media is the best choice today for price and digital quality. However, is this statement really true. Or would I be better off to record the VHS tapes on some other media such as blue ray or HD-DVD. Also, it looks like DVD dual layer media will drop in price significantly once HD-DVD is on the market. ALso, I am trying to cut down on space as well. With over hundreds of video tapes, I am simply running out of space to store these kind of items. Therefore, the more hours on a DVD disk without sacrificing quality is preferred. This way storage space can go down but all the great shows can be preserved for future generations of my family.

I have used this with great success at converting my VHS tapes to DVD.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consu...

There is a 10.0 version out now.
August 21, 2006 6:06:43 AM

I agree with badge, pinnacle hardware and software are superbe for this task. however, considering the expense of buying such a system and the software (legally), just about any TV tuner should be fine. I use a very cheap very basic tuner from AverMedia hooked up to a VHS player and get perfectly acceptable results. Editing is another matter, it really comes down to how much money you are willing to spend on software. You get what you pay for.

A P3 1ghz is going to be enough, but make sure the tuner or capture device doesn't require more than that. There are a couple out there with less powerful hardware that can require up to a P4 2ghz, so make sure you read the box or spec's damn carefully. The advantage of getting a TV Tuner over just some capture device is of course, digital tv on the desktop, so in the future you can just record shows straight to the pc at good quality. A better CPU is always going to give you faster results, but in this case its better to spend that money on a better capture device, because that can always be placed in a new pc later on down the track and will work ok for now.

Also, the quality of signal from S-Video compared to normal RCA (composite) is not going to be noticable given the fairly poor quality of VHS to begin with.

Good luck and happy ripping!

***Your shows may well be avaliable in other places. Finding a "torrent" more information from a straight digital copy that someone else has already done could save you "torrent"s of time***
!