rules for MX records

Can I point my MX record to an alias or should I use an A record. is there
an RFC to reference??

thanks

CQ

--
http://QLiner.com

To lead a symphony You must occasionally turn your back on the crowd. -
Anonymous

Cnews-ms wrote:
> Can I point my MX record to an alias or should I use an A record. is
> there an RFC to reference??

MX record should only point to an A record, no CNAMES or IP addresses.
CNAMEs are prohibited in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2,
RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]