Moving root DNS server to new server

Hello,

We are moving our root DNS server to a Windows 2003 server from Windows 2000
server. The new machine is going to be our first Windows 2003 machine (member
server) in our Windows 2000 native domain.

We have 5 - 6 child domains configured for this root domain and just want to
ensure that everything should be OK. Any advice with regards to this would be
very helpful. I found the below article to move DNS serve to a new machine.
Is there any more information that anyone can share with before proceeding?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280061

TIA.......

"kmalex74" <kmalex74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We are moving our root DNS server to a Windows 2003 server from Windows
2000
> server. The new machine is going to be our first Windows 2003 machine
(member
> server) in our Windows 2000 native domain.
>
> We have 5 - 6 child domains configured for this root domain and just want
> ensure that everything should be OK. Any advice with regards to this would
be
> very helpful. I found the below article to move DNS serve to a new
machine.
> Is there any more information that anyone can share with before
proceeding?

Moving a single zone is trivial. Make the zone as
a Secondary on the new machine and after the zone
transfer swap Secondary to Primary (and vice versa.)

The original DNS is still running and so no DNS client
(nor secondary nor forwarding server) should be lost.

Go around and find all of the 'clients' (and forwarding
or Secondaries which pull from the original DNS.)

Change them to point to the new one.

Also remember to check DHCP since that may be where
the clients receive their DNS server address.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE