ASSIGN DNS THRU DHCP

I have put a new DNS Server on my Windows 2000 network. I have gone to DHCP
and placed the new DNS server IP in scope options as Primary DNS. I still
cannot get clients to pick up the new DNS server after doing release and
renew. What am I missing? Thanks.
--
Scott

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Are your clients' TCPIP properties configured to "assign DNS automatically"?

-Frank

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> Are your clients' TCPIP properties configured to "assign DNS
automatically"?

Or on older clients, is the DNS server Preferred (and alternate)
field(s) blank.

More recent machines have the actual checkbox Frankster
references, but the older clients just allow you to fill out
the client setting which overrides the DHCP provided
values.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

To andswer all your questions:
1. Yes, all my clients receive DNS automatically, through TCP/IP properties
2. I don't really have any "older clients". All of our clients are at least
Win 2K SP4 or XP Pro. The DNS servers field in TCP/IP still has the old
primary DNS server in it.
3. In DHCP I used scope options to set the DNS server

Thanks for your replies so far.

"Scott Ford" wrote:

> I have put a new DNS Server on my Windows 2000 network. I have gone to DHCP
> and placed the new DNS server IP in scope options as Primary DNS. I still
> cannot get clients to pick up the new DNS server after doing release and
> renew. What am I missing? Thanks.
> --
> Scott

Now I have set the new Primary DNS server in DHCP>Server Options as well as
scope options, and still cannot pick up the right DNS server through
release/renew.

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Too obvious maybe, but, can you ping the new DNS server IP from the
workstations?

> Now I have set the new Primary DNS server in DHCP>Server Options as well
> as
> scope options, and still cannot pick up the right DNS server through
> release/renew.

Yes, I can ping it, and in fact, DNS works great on it if i manually set a
client to use that DNS server. However, I have over 60 clients, and I do not
want to have to do that. I know it should be able to pick up through DHCP, I
just can't see whats missing in my set up. Thanks.

"Frankster" wrote:

> Too obvious maybe, but, can you ping the new DNS server IP from the
> workstations?
>
> -Frank
>
> "Scott Ford" <removethis.scott@starlite-entertainment.com> wrote in message
> > Now I have set the new Primary DNS server in DHCP>Server Options as well
> > as
> > scope options, and still cannot pick up the right DNS server through
> > release/renew.

Have you assigned the new DNS server in the Server options or the Scope
options of DHCP?

> Yes, I can ping it, and in fact, DNS works great on it if i manually set a
> client to use that DNS server. However, I have over 60 clients, and I do
not
> want to have to do that. I know it should be able to pick up through DHCP,
> just can't see whats missing in my set up. Thanks.

Have you physically checked the clients to ensure
they don't have MANUAL DNS server settings?

The manual settings for such options override the
DHCP supplied options. Many people don't realize
that manual settings are even possible on DHCP
clients.

Go to an affected client and check this. Also perform
nslookup test with the SPECIFIC DNS server to ensure
that the clients are able to reach the DNS with DNS
requests and not just ping.

Scott Ford wrote:
> Yes, I can ping it, and in fact, DNS works great on it if i manually
> set a client to use that DNS server. However, I have over 60 clients,
> and I do not want to have to do that. I know it should be able to
> pick up through DHCP, I just can't see whats missing in my set up.
> Thanks.

Have you verified that you _are_ using option 006(DNS servers) and not
option 005(Name servers)?

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Thanks again for replies. Yes, I am using option 006>DNS Servers in DHCP
Server options. Also, yes, the clients are all set to receive both IP and DNS
Servers automatically. As I said, if I change it to manual DNS and enter the
new DNS Server IP, it works great, just no luck getting automatically after
release and renew.

Scott Ford wrote:
> Thanks again for replies. Yes, I am using option 006>DNS Servers in
> DHCP Server options. Also, yes, the clients are all set to receive
> both IP and DNS Servers automatically. As I said, if I change it to
> manual DNS and enter the new DNS Server IP, it works great, just no
> luck getting automatically after release and renew.

It may be coming from a GPO then, check all GPOs here:
Computer Configuration
-Administrative Templates
-Network
-DNS Client
-DNS Servers

--?

Scott Ford wrote:
> Thanks again for replies. Yes, I am using option 006>DNS Servers in
> DHCP Server options. Also, yes, the clients are all set to receive
> both IP and DNS Servers automatically. As I said, if I change it to
> manual DNS and enter the new DNS Server IP, it works great, just no
> luck getting automatically after release and renew.

It's pretty basic to setup DHCP, and all the responses you're getting are
just double checking the settings for you. Just to add to the pot, I have a
few more questions/views.

Is the DHCP server able to assign IPs to other DHCP enabled devices, such as
a printer, etc? Is there another DHCP server on the network? Has the scope
been verified that it was created correctly, such as subnet mask? FYI, a
DHCP server will only give out a scope that matches the subnet the NIC's
sitting on.

Have you tried deleting the scope and starting over from scratch?

Can you run a netmon capture to see exactly what is transpiring?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================

Yes, the DHCP server is functioning correctly in all respects. I have no
trouble getting IP addresses from it for clients or peripheral devices. There
is positively only one DHCP server on the network. The scope has been
correctly created and has been functioning in its current state for about a
year with no problems. I have not deleted the scope and started it fresh.
Since I have so many clients on it, I figured I would troubleshoot the
problem until I was out of options before reinstalling anything. Answering
questions to verify the basics are correct is never a problem for me, thanks
for your reply... Netmon is next I guess.

Scott

Scott Ford wrote:
> Yes, the DHCP server is functioning correctly in all respects. I have
> no trouble getting IP addresses from it for clients or peripheral
> devices. There is positively only one DHCP server on the network. The
> scope has been correctly created and has been functioning in its
> current state for about a year with no problems. I have not deleted
> the scope and started it fresh. Since I have so many clients on it, I
> figured I would troubleshoot the problem until I was out of options
> before reinstalling anything. Answering questions to verify the
> basics are correct is never a problem for me, thanks for your
> reply... Netmon is next I guess.
>
> Scott

Scott,

Sorry for the late response. Ever get it working?

Ace

N, I havent had any spare time to spend on it. I need to run netmon and post
results. Thanks for checking back.

Scott Ford wrote:
> N, I havent had any spare time to spend on it. I need to run netmon
> and post results. Thanks for checking back.

No prob. I'll be monitoring this thread for your results.

Ace

TRENDING THREADS