Does DNS cache forwarder lookups?

I have a Win2K server w/ AD, DNS, DHCP. DNS is set up with forwarders to the
ISP's DNS servers in addition to acting as a local DNS. Does the Win2K
server DNS cache resolved replies it receives from forwarders? If so, where
is the cache located?

MyndPhlyp wrote:
> I have a Win2K server w/ AD, DNS, DHCP. DNS is set up with forwarders
> to the ISP's DNS servers in addition to acting as a local DNS. Does
> the Win2K server DNS cache resolved replies it receives from
> forwarders? If so, where is the cache located?

In the DNS management cosole, select View> Advanced. You will see the server
cache.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"MyndPhlyp" <nobody@homeright.now> wrote in message
> I have a Win2K server w/ AD, DNS, DHCP. DNS is set up with forwarders to
the
> ISP's DNS servers in addition to acting as a local DNS. Does the Win2K
> server DNS cache resolved replies it receives from forwarders?

Yes.

Unless DNS caching is disabled, it caches anything it has to
look up (recursion or forwarding responses.)

> If so, where is the cache located?

The trick is to turn on "Advanced view" and then the cache
display is right there in the left hand browsing tree under the
server with the Forward and Reverse zones.

I almost never look in there by the way -- there is almost never
a reason.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> MyndPhlyp wrote:
> > I have a Win2K server w/ AD, DNS, DHCP. DNS is set up with forwarders
> > to the ISP's DNS servers in addition to acting as a local DNS. Does
> > the Win2K server DNS cache resolved replies it receives from
> > forwarders? If so, where is the cache located?
>
> In the DNS management cosole, select View> Advanced. You will see the
server
> cache.

Damn! If it had teeth I would have been a dead man. Thanx.

(Miracles are simple to perform. It's the obvious stuff that seems to take
forever!)

> "MyndPhlyp" <nobody@homeright.now> wrote in message
> > I have a Win2K server w/ AD, DNS, DHCP. DNS is set up with forwarders to
> the
> > ISP's DNS servers in addition to acting as a local DNS. Does the Win2K
> > server DNS cache resolved replies it receives from forwarders?
>
> Yes.
>
> Unless DNS caching is disabled, it caches anything it has to
> look up (recursion or forwarding responses.)
>
> > If so, where is the cache located?
>
> The trick is to turn on "Advanced view" and then the cache
> display is right there in the left hand browsing tree under the
> server with the Forward and Reverse zones.

Thanx. Far too obvious for me to have found on my own.