How to properly test your dns records

Once a/d is installed and operation, what are the "ways" possible to test it.
Give exemples also and possible results.

TY.

Also, how would you know its not setup properly, I have 1 method where when
you access a/d from a station, you get ????? for some accounts, long logons,
cant find the domain...

Run netdiag and dcdiag on all domain controllers. If there is a DNS problem with AD you'll see it quickly enough.

If you have a specific workstation that isn't resolving correctly, I'd first recommend simply unjoining and rejoining it to the
domain. This will frequently clear any problem with the computer account or trust.

As long as the workstation is resolving its DNS properly (only) through a domain controller then the AD problem is usually elsewhere
(slow link detection, time sync problems, gigabit cards starting too fast, etc.) You need to paw through the event log and search
the KB for the particular issue.

"netnewsnow" <netnewsnow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAA3AB6E-A834-4BDD-9A41-C107B151131F@microsoft.com...
> Once a/d is installed and operation, what are the "ways" possible to test it.
> Give exemples also and possible results.
>
> TY.
>
> Also, how would you know its not setup properly, I have 1 method where when
> you access a/d from a station, you get ????? for some accounts, long logons,
> cant find the domain...

Thanks for your info Steve, I searched for the tools you mentionned and they
both worked like a charm and helped me resolve a few things. The main thing I
did'nt realise what that a/c dns registered the proper windows 2000 server
a/c records automatically, and that you did'nt have to put them in yourself.
Once I setup the win2k server as its own dns server it put in the records by
itself and all was fine. I was able to resolve the other problems one after
the other and still am (now I got a windows installer problem to solve...)

Thanks for the info.