question re: pci/pci-e sata raid cards

ok. i have read all kinds of posts about raid setups and raid cards. my question is do pci or pci-e sata cards that have more than 4 ports only work as raid setups or is there any that will allow hdd's to work as regular individual hdd's? I've seen some 4-port sata-150 models that specifically state they work that way but most only talk about the raid functions.
7 answers Last reply
More about question sata raid cards
  1. Any RAID controller of any kind (SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, ecc...) will run without problem even if you don't need RAID. But it's a suicide to buy a RAID controller and don't benetif of this function: normal controllers cost a tenth!
  2. i'm looking for a 8-port sata ii card and the only ones i have found are raid cards. i am not wanting to run raid with any of my drives so before i start looking to get one i need to make sure it would work as regular stand-alone drives.
  3. I repeat: every RAID card will work also in non RAID mode.

But why you need 8 drives in non RAID if I may ask?
  4. Quote:
    i'm looking for a 8-port sata ii card and the only ones i have found are raid cards. i am not wanting to run raid with any of my drives so before i start looking to get one i need to make sure it would work as regular stand-alone drives.

Why don't you buy two 4-port non-RAID cards? That's probably the cheapest solution.
  5. i have a very complex setup. i have an asus a8n-sli premium mb which has both a nvidia raid controller and a silicon image raid controller. however due to the number of pata hdd's i have (currently 6) and 2 dvd burners i also have a silicon image pci ata card installed. what i found after i bought the board was that the si onboard raid controller will only function as a raid controller which when enabled with the pata pci card installed will not boot. i also have 7 sata hdd's (4 currently and soon to be all 7 in external boxes with sata cables run in the back). i've gotten a 4-port si pci regular sata card but 1 of the ports doesnt work and i am wanting to replace it and the onboard sata with 1 preferably pci-e 8-port model to free up a pci slot and simplify the boot process (which with 3 controllers takes forever). again every time i tried to turn on raid on any of the controllers the computer would not boot with the pata pci card installed. kinda frustrating. i use this computer as a media/file server for my tivo's and several home networked computers and have tons of video files in various stages of editing. plus i'm a packrat by nature. just hate to delete anything.
  6. Holy crap that's a lot of components.

Sell your smaller hard drives and buy four of these:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $399.99

That'll get you 3TB storage. What's the total capacity that you need with all of your HDDs?
  7. lol. yea its alot. when i would start getting tight on drive space instead of deleting things i would just go buy a new hdd. now im buying bigger drives replacing the smaller ones. i've actually got a total of 19 hdd's that are all 100g or over. most of the smaller ones i've passed on to the other pcs in the household. i currently have almost 4.5tb in storage.

edit. yea i do want to get a couple of those. just need to wait a little while for the price to drop a little. for now been getting several 500g drives to replace the 160 and 200g's i still have.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID PCI SATA Hard Drives PCI Express Storage Product