Sign in with
Your question

question re: pci/pci-e sata raid cards

Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2006 8:47:44 AM

ok. i have read all kinds of posts about raid setups and raid cards. my question is do pci or pci-e sata cards that have more than 4 ports only work as raid setups or is there any that will allow hdd's to work as regular individual hdd's? I've seen some 4-port sata-150 models that specifically state they work that way but most only talk about the raid functions.
August 21, 2006 9:39:18 AM

Any RAID controller of any kind (SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, ecc...) will run without problem even if you don't need RAID. But it's a suicide to buy a RAID controller and don't benetif of this function: normal controllers cost a tenth!
August 21, 2006 6:20:58 PM

i'm looking for a 8-port sata ii card and the only ones i have found are raid cards. i am not wanting to run raid with any of my drives so before i start looking to get one i need to make sure it would work as regular stand-alone drives.
Related resources
August 21, 2006 6:32:48 PM

I repeat: every RAID card will work also in non RAID mode.

But why you need 8 drives in non RAID if I may ask?
a b G Storage
August 21, 2006 6:59:03 PM

Quote:
i'm looking for a 8-port sata ii card and the only ones i have found are raid cards. i am not wanting to run raid with any of my drives so before i start looking to get one i need to make sure it would work as regular stand-alone drives.

Why don't you buy two 4-port non-RAID cards? That's probably the cheapest solution.
August 21, 2006 8:52:02 PM

i have a very complex setup. i have an asus a8n-sli premium mb which has both a nvidia raid controller and a silicon image raid controller. however due to the number of pata hdd's i have (currently 6) and 2 dvd burners i also have a silicon image pci ata card installed. what i found after i bought the board was that the si onboard raid controller will only function as a raid controller which when enabled with the pata pci card installed will not boot. i also have 7 sata hdd's (4 currently and soon to be all 7 in external boxes with sata cables run in the back). i've gotten a 4-port si pci regular sata card but 1 of the ports doesnt work and i am wanting to replace it and the onboard sata with 1 preferably pci-e 8-port model to free up a pci slot and simplify the boot process (which with 3 controllers takes forever). again every time i tried to turn on raid on any of the controllers the computer would not boot with the pata pci card installed. kinda frustrating. i use this computer as a media/file server for my tivo's and several home networked computers and have tons of video files in various stages of editing. plus i'm a packrat by nature. just hate to delete anything.
August 21, 2006 10:22:14 PM

lol. yea its alot. when i would start getting tight on drive space instead of deleting things i would just go buy a new hdd. now im buying bigger drives replacing the smaller ones. i've actually got a total of 19 hdd's that are all 100g or over. most of the smaller ones i've passed on to the other pcs in the household. i currently have almost 4.5tb in storage.

edit. yea i do want to get a couple of those. just need to wait a little while for the price to drop a little. for now been getting several 500g drives to replace the 160 and 200g's i still have.
!