Access shared folder while using a Alias (CNAME)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 5, 2005 7:19:46 PM

I have a computer who's name is computer1 and the FQDN is computer1.abc.com
but we have another DNS server which is part of 123.com. So I enter in a
Alias (CNAME) and name it computer1 and have it point to computer1.abc.com.
Which works fine when I am ping it, but when I try to open it by using a
computer on 123.com it typing in \\computer1\ it opens fine but I don't see
any of the shared folders. It works just fine when I type in \\10.0.0.1\ ,
can anyone tell what I am doing wrong? TIA
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:11:36 PM

When you will have access to shared folder while using a Alias. You
must add an 2nd netbios name. Shared folders use netbios and you must
add an 2nd netbios name. therefore you must add 2 Registery keys

HKLM\System\CurrenControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
add String value "OptionalNames" the value must be your 2nd netbios
name (Alias)

HKLM\System\CurrenControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
add Dword value "DisableStrictNameChecking" the value must be
REG_DWORD=1 .

Greets,

Barry
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:06:35 PM

Barry it work like a charm, thanks a billion!

!