domain name is not appending to records in dns

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 5, 2005 9:57:30 PM

hello.
i installed AD and with that installed DNS on my system.
for some reason , AD didn't creat any zone . i create forward looking zone
... but my domain name is not added to the records .. usually is something
like this:
""servername.domainname.com"" for both SOA and NS record.
also when i look at NS record IP address of my NIC is not added . i manuly
enter ip and when i click on resovle , i get error message. and is not
resolving.
anyways. i m kinda lost all my hair over this. dose anyone got any online
easy to read tutorial on how to install AD , DNS and configure them ?
thanks
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:02:05 AM

TONY wrote:
> hello.
> i installed AD and with that installed DNS on my system.
> for some reason , AD didn't creat any zone . i create forward
> looking zone .. but my domain name is not added to the records ..
> usually is something like this:
> ""servername.domainname.com"" for both SOA and NS record.
> also when i look at NS record IP address of my NIC is not added . i
> manuly enter ip and when i click on resovle , i get error message.
> and is not resolving.
> anyways. i m kinda lost all my hair over this. dose anyone got any
> online easy to read tutorial on how to install AD , DNS and configure
> them ? thanks

Can you please post an ipconfig /all?

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
May 6, 2005 2:28:55 AM

sorry.. im kinda very stressed out with this , i keep removing and
reinstalling DNS..
i do the setup the way is done in books.. i did nslookup..
it shows my dns address that i have assigend to my NIC .. but server entry
displays UNKOWN.
configuration in DNS seems to be fine..
i also disconnected my computers from router , and connected them directry
to HUB.. no difference there either.
I use the AD integrated setup for my DNS. dose that take time to show up in
my DNS ??
at first there was no A recored. after few minutes. well long minutes A
recored showed up ..
im still confused .
Thanks
"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> TONY wrote:
> > hello.
> > i installed AD and with that installed DNS on my system.
> > for some reason , AD didn't creat any zone . i create forward
> > looking zone .. but my domain name is not added to the records ..
> > usually is something like this:
> > ""servername.domainname.com"" for both SOA and NS record.
> > also when i look at NS record IP address of my NIC is not added . i
> > manuly enter ip and when i click on resovle , i get error message.
> > and is not resolving.
> > anyways. i m kinda lost all my hair over this. dose anyone got any
> > online easy to read tutorial on how to install AD , DNS and configure
> > them ? thanks
>
> Can you please post an ipconfig /all?
>
> --?
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:41:45 PM

TONY wrote:
> sorry.. im kinda very stressed out with this , i keep removing and
> reinstalling DNS..
> i do the setup the way is done in books.. i did nslookup..
> it shows my dns address that i have assigend to my NIC .. but server
> entry displays UNKOWN.

This is probably nslookup looking for the PTR record for thje DNS server's
IP. If nslookup says something like "cant find server name for address
<dnsserveripaddress>" that is what it is.
Ignore this or create a reverse lookup and PTR for the DNS server IP.

> configuration in DNS seems to be fine..
> i also disconnected my computers from router , and connected them
> directry to HUB.. no difference there either.
> I use the AD integrated setup for my DNS. dose that take time to show
> up in my DNS ??
> at first there was no A recored. after few minutes. well long minutes
> A recored showed up ..
> im still confused .

It can take 15 to 20 minutes to replicate to other AD DNS servers, but
sually not that long.

--?
!