Problem with url

Hello,

I don't known if it is the good newsgroup for my problem but

With Windows 2000 SP4 and Explorer 6.0, I type a URL and i go to my
Personal Web Server site and not to the good URL.

Only ONE URL doesn't function properly other URL function correctly

Example: www.google.com => I go to H:\site\wwwroot
and www.google.fr = OK

Its a problem of DNS? Firewall?
If I stop my PWS, the URL doesn't function (server not found)

How resolving this problem?

Thank you for your support
Andre
6 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Dede wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't known if it is the good newsgroup for my problem but
    >
    > With Windows 2000 SP4 and Explorer 6.0, I type a URL and i go to my
    > Personal Web Server site and not to the good URL.
    >
    > Only ONE URL doesn't function properly other URL function correctly
    >
    > Example: www.google.com => I go to H:\site\wwwroot
    > and www.google.fr = OK
    >

    > Its a problem of DNS? Firewall?
    > If I stop my PWS, the URL doesn't function (server not found)
    >
    > How resolving this problem?
    >
    > Thank you for your support
    > Andre

    Sounds like your browser is configured to use a Proxy server.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
    =================================

    Or maybe a hosts file hijack.

    Have you run an antivirus and anti-spyware scan?

    Ace

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 23:26:33 -0400, "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Dede wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I don't known if it is the good newsgroup for my problem but
    >>
    >> With Windows 2000 SP4 and Explorer 6.0, I type a URL and i go to my
    >> Personal Web Server site and not to the good URL.
    >>
    >> Only ONE URL doesn't function properly other URL function correctly
    >>
    >> Example: www.google.com => I go to H:\site\wwwroot
    >> and www.google.fr = OK
    >>

    >> Its a problem of DNS? Firewall?
    >> If I stop my PWS, the URL doesn't function (server not found)
    >>
    >> How resolving this problem?
    >>
    >> Thank you for your support
    >> Andre
    >
    >Sounds like your browser is configured to use a Proxy server.

    Hello,

    For your first question : No my browser is not configured for a proxy
    For you next question: I have two anti virus : F-prot and the anti
    virus included in the Firewall : Zone Alarm. But i don't have
    anti-spyware

    For the virus scan, no virus found

    André

    To see if its your Hosts file thats the problem have a quick look at:

    c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    (just bang it in to notepad or something) and see if there's anything
    extraordinary listed. Usually only has the one entry:

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    "Dede" <dede@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 8 May 2005 23:26:33 -0400, "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Dede wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I don't known if it is the good newsgroup for my problem but
    >>>
    >>> With Windows 2000 SP4 and Explorer 6.0, I type a URL and i go to my
    >>> Personal Web Server site and not to the good URL.
    >>>
    >>> Only ONE URL doesn't function properly other URL function correctly
    >>>
    >>> Example: www.google.com => I go to H:\site\wwwroot
    >>> and www.google.fr = OK
    >>>

    >>> Its a problem of DNS? Firewall?
    >>> If I stop my PWS, the URL doesn't function (server not found)
    >>>
    >>> How resolving this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your support
    >>> Andre
    >>
    >>Sounds like your browser is configured to use a Proxy server.
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > For your first question : No my browser is not configured for a proxy
    > For you next question: I have two anti virus : F-prot and the anti
    > virus included in the Firewall : Zone Alarm. But i don't have
    > anti-spyware
    >
    > For the virus scan, no virus found
    >
    > André

    Yes

    Correct !

    Below, It is a copy of this file:
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host
    name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:58:45 +0100, "Steve Burkett"
    <wacky.dns@yougotta.loveit> wrote:

    >To see if its your Hosts file thats the problem have a quick look at:
    >
    >c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    >
    >(just bang it in to notepad or something) and see if there's anything
    >extraordinary listed. Usually only has the one entry:
    >
    >127.0.0.1 localhost
    >
    >"Dede" <dede@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 8 May 2005 23:26:33 -0400, "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    >> <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>>Sounds like your browser is configured to use a Proxy server.
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> For your first question : No my browser is not configured for a proxy
    >> For you next question: I have two anti virus : F-prot and the anti
    >> virus included in the Firewall : Zone Alarm. But i don't have
    >> anti-spyware
    >>
    >> For the virus scan, no virus found
    >>
    >> André

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Dede wrote:
    > Yes
    >
    > Correct !

    Sorry for the late response. Glad to see your hosts file is fine.

    Try downloading two anti-spyware scanners:

    www.microsoft.com and choose the beta scanner
    and
    www.lavasoftusa.com and choose downloads and choose Adaware SE

    Install both and run both and I bet this will clean it up.

    Ace

DNS Windows