Addamasartus / Smugglers Cave (newbie)

Hi all,

Just starting Morrowind for the first time. In Seydna Neen you get told
about the smugglers cave (Addamasartus), also that there might be the
possibility of a reward. But no-one seems to want to know about it
after I've cleared the cave. Is there a reward for this mini-quest?

TIA

Steve.

On 10 Mar 2005 02:06:44 -0800, "eclecticgeek" <stetar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just starting Morrowind for the first time. In Seydna Neen you get told
>about the smugglers cave (Addamasartus), also that there might be the
>possibility of a reward. But no-one seems to want to know about it
>after I've cleared the cave. Is there a reward for this mini-quest?

Only the stuff you find in the cave.

Thanks Greg. I realised afterward that was probably reading it all
wrong, and that the reward was what I could find.

eZ

I, too, am just starting MW and the magic user in the smuggler's cave
is kicking my butt, I'm set up as a pilgrim under the birth sign
Tower.

I have a saber and chitin bow/arrows.

Help please!!!

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:06:11 -0400, EZ <ezgoindm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I, too, am just starting MW and the magic user in the smuggler's cave
>is kicking my butt, I'm set up as a pilgrim under the birth sign
>Tower.
>
>I have a saber and chitin bow/arrows.
>
>Help please!!!

How good is your Sneak and how good are you with that bow? It is
possible to sneak up on the magic user a little and put an arrow into
him before he knows you are there. That won't kill him, but it will
help. Work with your movement keys until you can quickly react to
move to the side when you see him throwing spells at you. You might
want to take a couple of game days to practice sneaking up on mud
crabs, then either killing them with your saber or running away.
--
Nyctolops

if you Install the tribunal expantion, you get a quest log , and if someone
gave you a quest a bout the smuglers cave it shoudt be in the quest log.

I dont, remember any quest about a smuglers cave near Seydna Neen, but
theire might be one

The best advice I cane give newbies is : Go to Balmora
The Fighters guild and the mages guild have a few easy quest to start with

In article <acqac1552ftjot3uj1sffnbhetpfv57ere@4ax.com>,
ezgoindm@bellsouth.net says...
> I, too, am just starting MW and the magic user in the smuggler's cave
> is kicking my butt, I'm set up as a pilgrim under the birth sign
> Tower.
>
> I have a saber and chitin bow/arrows.
>
> Help please!!!

You may have to try several times. Best things to try are to get magic
absorption or [I think he's throwing fireballs] fire restistance via a
potion, CHAAAARGE and get close and personal with him. Hint: Look at the
colour of the spell he throws and try different resistances, maybe.

Sticking a sabre into his guts a couple of times will cramp his style
seriously. You can also evade the first few spells he throws at you by
ducking around the corner: his mana is not infinite; i.i.r.c. he can
only get about 4-5 spells off until he runs out.

But standing there and taking it on the chin while peppering him with
arrows is probably the worst tactic for a beginning character.

------
To answer the questio of the OriginalPoster: there is no quest connected
to that cave - the townspeople merely let you know it's there. After you
clean it out of smugglers, you get to keep their stuff, and that's your
reward, sorry. I remember being particularly annoyed that freeing the
slaves gives you no (immediately apparent) benefit at all, the dumb
buggers don't even bother to run away! <sigh>

h.t.h. -Peter

eZ

During one incarnation, the bloomin idiot kitty cat (ex?) slave
attacked ME after I freed him, in mid fight with the magic user...

wrote:

>To answer the questio of the OriginalPoster: there is no quest connected
>to that cave - the townspeople merely let you know it's there. After you
>clean it out of smugglers, you get to keep their stuff, and that's your
>reward, sorry. I remember being particularly annoyed that freeing the
>slaves gives you no (immediately apparent) benefit at all, the dumb
>buggers don't even bother to run away! <sigh>

The slave do eventually wander off. I remember killing all the bad
guys in that smugglers' cave on the island near Seyda Neen, freeing
the slaves and finding that I couldn't carry all the loot off at once.
I took what I could carry, sold it off, rested up and when I went back
for the rest, the slaves were gone. It is rather surprising that they
don't even leave their pen right away, though.
--
Nyctolops

There are many ways to handle Addamasartus's pesky mage. For example,

Ignore the cave.
Come back later when you are stronger.
Dodge the mage's fireballs (you want to move/change-direction when his
hands start to glow).
Arrange for there to be an intervening object that will trigger the
fireball before it gets close enough to envelope you (this can be a
rock ledge, a post, the cage the slaves are in, etc.)
Use healing potions (you can get two if you give the tax collector's
lover back his ring).
Play a Dark Elf (fire protection) or Autronarch (spell absorption).
Kill him quickly (using sneak or strong weapons skills).
Turn the difficulty slider way way down for this combat (this is the
only approach I haven't tried as I don't muck with the slider).

Note especially item 2, come back later when you are stronger. Not
every starting character is up to taking on that mage.

DeAnn wrote:
> There are many ways to handle Addamasartus's pesky mage. For example,
>
> Ignore the cave.
> Come back later when you are stronger.
> Dodge the mage's fireballs (you want to move/change-direction when his
> hands start to glow).
> Arrange for there to be an intervening object that will trigger the
> fireball before it gets close enough to envelope you (this can be a
> rock ledge, a post, the cage the slaves are in, etc.)
> Use healing potions (you can get two if you give the tax collector's
> lover back his ring).
> Play a Dark Elf (fire protection) or Autronarch (spell absorption).
> Kill him quickly (using sneak or strong weapons skills).
> Turn the difficulty slider way way down for this combat (this is the
> only approach I haven't tried as I don't muck with the slider).
>
> Note especially item 2, come back later when you are stronger. Not
> every starting character is up to taking on that mage.

I found that this cave and the first Black Brotherhood encounters easier
with a mage than a fighter. I used a fire bite spell that usually
dropped any low level opponent with one or two casts. Keeping far
enough from them until they died was the only other necessity.