DNS Forwarders

Hi all,

I have a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller and Active Directory
configured with my own forest and one domain. I am in migration phase to
Windows 2003 format. Now I want to migrate the DNS server from the old 2000
to the recently added DC Windows 2003.

But when I first install the active directory, I make a great mistake:
instead of calling my domain 'mydomain.localdomain' I called it 'mydomain'.
DNS server was then configured to manage DNS root records (!) and I can't
activate forwarders. That activation is very important because our network
is part of an huge network and name resolution is needed to access to
internet, for example.

How can I activate the forwarders? Anyone can help?

Thanks.
Pedro L.

Pedro L. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller and Active Directory
> configured with my own forest and one domain. I am in migration phase
> to Windows 2003 format. Now I want to migrate the DNS server from the
> old 2000 to the recently added DC Windows 2003.
>
> But when I first install the active directory, I make a great mistake:
> instead of calling my domain 'mydomain.localdomain' I called it
> 'mydomain'. DNS server was then configured to manage DNS root records
> (!) and I can't activate forwarders. That activation is very
> important because our network is part of an huge network and name
> resolution is needed to access to internet, for example.
>
> How can I activate the forwarders? Anyone can help?

Delete the "." (dot) forward lookup zone. Then you can enable a forwarder
after you refresh the DNS management console.

That said, your single-label DNS domain name may be your biggest problem.
Because of this your going to have to make registry entries on the DC and
all of its members.
300684 - Information About Configuring Windows 2000 for Domains with
Single-Label DNS Names
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

Kevin,

Everything worked fine after deleting root forward lookup zone. Thank you.

Pedro L.