Combine PTR zones

Todd

I currently have a primary win2k3 DNS zone with all my
PTR zones broken out by class C IP's (all non-routable
ranges). I'd like to eliminate headaches with new subnets
on the network by just switching to a Class A non-
routable PTR zone (10.in-addr.arpa). Will DDNS clients
register themselves in both the new 10.0.0.0 PTR zone and
their current 10.x.x.0 PTR zone? Can I move all the
records to the new zone. I have something like 45 Class C
PTR zones currently.

"Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a primary win2k3 DNS zone with all my
> PTR zones broken out by class C IP's (all non-routable
> ranges).

Just for reference: they are "locally administered" and routable,
just not routable on (the backbone of) THE Internet.

> I'd like to eliminate headaches with new subnets
> on the network by just switching to a Class A non-
> routable PTR zone (10.in-addr.arpa). Will DDNS clients
> register themselves in both the new 10.0.0.0 PTR zone and
> their current 10.x.x.0 PTR zone?

If they have 10-net addresses and you set it up correctly (e.g.,
dynamic Reverse zone etc.)

> Can I move all the
> records to the new zone.

Not easily and not worth the trouble probably.

> I have something like 45 Class C
> PTR zones currently.

You could just create a single reverse zone for ALL
class-C addresses: 168.192.in-addr.arpa

When re-registered they would all be together -- or
you could leave the current mess and all new ones
in undefined zones would register in the "larger" zone.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE