Sign in with
Your question

First build and it's just sitting there waiting for:

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2006 1:36:55 PM

Registration numbers for my Win XP Pro Sp2, some how I lost the numbers? Where, how did the bad night elve's sneek into my computer desk one night and steal them who know's but when I went to intall the operating system and it came up asking for the number I had no idea where it was?

So I had to go back to my good friend Newegg and order a copy on Friday and have them overnight it to my. Bad thing is they dropped the ball and I won't get it until tomorrow :( .

Things is I don't know is if I'm going to be able to jjst continue the install I have going now by just entering the fresh registration numbers from the new software or will I have to start all over again? Anyone know?

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but just goes to show you how important it is to hold onto everything you have for your computer, EVERYTHING!

More about : build sitting waiting

August 21, 2006 2:00:03 PM

Knowing Microsoft your new set of numbers will be incompatible with your existing media. Let us know how it turns out so we'll know if we're justified in being pissed at Microsoft.
August 21, 2006 2:05:01 PM

Quote:
Knowing Microsoft your new set of numbers will be incompatible with your existing media. Let us know how it turns out so we'll know if we're justified in being pissed at Microsoft.

Yah I figure the new CD will be bootable, right? So I just will have to put it in the system and reboot and it will take over from there if the reg numbers don't work.

hehe this time though I'll make sure and do a quick format of the HDD. Last time it took forever to format a 500GB drive the normal way ROFL!
Related resources
August 21, 2006 2:24:58 PM

Quote:

Yah I figure the new CD will be bootable, right? So I just will have to put it in the system and reboot and it will take over from there if the reg numbers don't work.

hehe this time though I'll make sure and do a quick format of the HDD. Last time it took forever to format a 500GB drive the normal way ROFL!
yeah, it will be bootable. If it's a new, unformatted drive, quick format wont solve.
August 21, 2006 2:36:09 PM

Quote:

yeah, it will be bootable. If it's a new, unformatted drive, quick format wont solve.

Yah that's true I was thinking that I had already formatted it once, but considering I really have not installed an operating system on it yet XP will still think it has not been formatted it yet. Damn I'll have to go through all that again, maybe 3 hours all over again.

Kinda ticks me off that Newegg didn't get my order out on Friday to, I paid for overnight shipping to only find out that I'm going to get it on Tuesday, kind of a waste if you ask me. I tried talking to one of their customer support reps over the weekend about it but the guy just gave me a hard time saying over and over again "it is what it is, that's what it is" in a real snotty tone. Pissed me off real good after that!
August 21, 2006 2:36:36 PM

Next time, just do what all good system builders do, tape the numbers to the side of the comp. Saved me so much trouble whenever I needed to do any reinstalls or such.
August 21, 2006 2:40:39 PM

no no, if you already formatted there's no need to format it again. Just do a quick format (it will only erase the old files). If the drive is not formatted, then windows will ask to format it. No need to spend time
August 21, 2006 2:41:24 PM

Quote:
Next time, just do what all good system builders do, tape the numbers to the side of the comp. Saved me so much trouble whenever I needed to do any reinstalls or such.

I have an app that I just bought off of Ebay for $2.99 called codekey that will bring up the registration numbers on any system that has any version of windows installed on it as long as you can get into windows in some fashion, even in safe mode you can run the app and get your numbers. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for me because as you know I couldn't get past the initial asking for the reg numbers part :( .

But thanks that is a good idea, I'll get the numbers and write them on the side of the system.
August 21, 2006 2:47:11 PM

Heck, you won't even have to write them. Actually legit copies of windows (but who would use that? :wink: ) have a fancy little sticker with the license key printed right on them, so now you won't have to mar your purdy new puter with a sharpie pen. :D 
August 21, 2006 2:50:15 PM

You can use Windows Product Activation to change keys under the telephone activation section. Keys will only work on similar builds of XP ie: Retail to Retail, OEM to OEM or OPK to OPK thats it.
!