DNS Zone Transfer

When I create a child domain that is connected to the parent domain using a
WAN link, what kind o DNS zone do I have to install on this child domain to
enable its client to resolve name of both, child and parent domain and not
cause too much network trafic (both DNS servers are not domain controllers so
I cnnot use AD integrated primary zones) ?
3 answers Last reply
More about zone transfer

    "Ricardo" <Ricardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I create a child domain that is connected to the parent domain using
    > WAN link, what kind o DNS zone do I have to install on this child domain

    All zones must START with a Primary DNS (or AD-Integrated
    which is logically equivalent to the Primary). So the child domain
    must have it's own Primary and optional secondary servers.

    > enable its client to resolve name of both,

    This needs a zone for both the parent domain and another
    zone for the child domain.

    In Win2000 it is common for the child DNS servers to ALSO
    contain a secondary zone for the parent Domain DNS zone.

    > child and parent domain and not
    > cause too much network trafic (both DNS servers are not domain controllers
    so
    > I cnnot use AD integrated primary zones) ?

    You cannot use AD-integration across domains in Win2000
    anyway (that requires Win2003 DNS on DCs.)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    OK Herb, just to me understand your answer ...

    So I have to create in the child domais DNS server a secoundary zone for the
    entire primary zone of the parent domain, or just a secoundry zone for the
    child domain zone ?

    > OK Herb, just to me understand your answer ...
    >
    > So I have to create in the child domais DNS server a secoundary zone for
    the
    > entire primary zone of the parent domain,

    That is most likely your best course of action.

    It is possible to avoid doing this in some cases but this
    method is usually simplest with Win2000. (Win2003
    has more choices.)

    > or just a secoundry zone for the
    > child domain zone ?

    You will need a Primary for the child zone, and the
    Secondaries to that Primary for performance and fault
    tolerance.

    Key concept: Always think about each zone SEPARATELY.
    Each zone needs it's own Primary and other DNS servers.

    Once you have EACH zone SEPARATELY designed, you may
    choose to put multiple zones on the same physically server(s).

    Remember that clients of the server holding the "child zone"
    will need to resolve: the child zone, the parent zone(s), and
    also (likely) The Internet.

    Since forwarding will handle the Internet, this eliminates
    forwarding from use for finding the parent and other internal
    zones (usually).

    Also remember that the parent will need to DELEGATE the
    child zone to the authoritative servers so that clients of the
    parent server set will be able to go to the parent and recurse
    down to the child (otherwise the parent would need to also
    hold secondaries for the child.)

    DNS is very simple, but it is very unforgiving of broken
    links in the resolution path.

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Ricardo" <Ricardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I create a child domain that is connected to the parent domain
    using
    > > > WAN link, what kind o DNS zone do I have to install on this child
    domain

    > > All zones must START with a Primary DNS (or AD-Integrated
    > > which is logically equivalent to the Primary). So the child domain
    > > must have it's own Primary and optional secondary servers.

    > > > enable its client to resolve name of both,
    > >
    > > This needs a zone for both the parent domain and another
    > > zone for the child domain.
    > >
    > > In Win2000 it is common for the child DNS servers to ALSO
    > > contain a secondary zone for the parent Domain DNS zone.
    > >
    > > > child and parent domain and not
    > > > cause too much network trafic (both DNS servers are not domain
    controllers
    > > so
    > > > I cnnot use AD integrated primary zones) ?
    > >
    > > You cannot use AD-integration across domains in Win2000
    > > anyway (that requires Win2003 DNS on DCs.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    > > Accelerated MCSE
    > > http://www.LearnQuick.Com