A Challenge to all Builders Contained Here!

Moogletech

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Okay guys, here is the deal. I'm a total scrub, just taking his first steps into computer building / buying / etc. I have decided on a processor that will do me good, and now, I need to find a motherboard. I've already read the guide on Tom's Hardware, and I wanted the seasoned opinion of you forum veterans. What should I get to go with the Athlon64 3200 Venice. It has a 939 pin count, and it looks like a really solid processor that won't break the bank. I'd like to spend the same amount / less than I will for the processor (76 dollars at the moment) on a motherboard. Any help would be so very appriciated guys, thanks for the time.

~Moogs~

Wolfshadw

Titan
First question would have to be why Socket 939? Are you trying to salvage component from an older system (memory/graphics)? If so, then I'd recommend the ASRock 939Dual-SATAII. It has both an AGP and PCI-Ex16 graphics slot, accepts DDR400 Memory Modules, and has a Future Port for upgrading to an AM2 Processor and DDR2 Memory. Also, it's currently running about $70 at Newegg.

If you're not trying to salvage graphics/ram from an older system, I'd suggest you reconsider your processor to either an AMD AM2 or Intel Pentium 4 (closest to your price range).

If you're dead set on that processor, for whatever reason, then this board should suit you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186086

-Wolf sends

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
well you need to give some more details on what you want this pc to do. by the cpu you picked it looks like this is going to be an internet and email pc although it will be able to do much more than that if you need it to.

I have an MSI mobo and it works just fine, allows me to oc a little and it seems to be a stable board, also you might want to look at some asus mobos in that price range but this is a link that should get you started

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

it is basic for the most part but it will work and if you throw in a good video card you can play some good games with it too. but befor you find a video card we need to know what if any games or graphic programs you will be running

your next item to get will be ram just some value ram will do fine, ocz or corsair are good brands.

hdd just a wester digital that is the size you need 250gb was the sweet spot last i checked, but that mobo only does sata 1.5 so dont bother looking for sata 2 hdd unless the mobo you get supports it. btw sata 2 isnt all that much better than sata 2.

that should be plenty of info for you to dig into for now

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well first off, like Wolfshdw said, why 939? They're phasing it out so upgradability is pretty much going out the door. I'd highly recommend socket AM2 because it has quad-core upgradability and it's upgradable to socket AM3 when that's released. DDR2 memory isn't too expensive these days and a decent hdd like a Western Digital will be fine for you. Anyways, good luck with that comp, if I missed anything just let me know...

Moogletech

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Okay, so 939 is a bad idea? What exactly does it mean when it is rotating out of upgradeability? Does that mean once I get the chip / MB combo, then I'm pretty much stuck with it? Is 754 a better option? Does it have more going for it than 939? I picked that one because it had an absolute plethora of great reviews, and it is right where I need it to be in my budget. Is there a better option? Would stepping up to an AM2 and going with that board really hike the price ranges? I'm looking at NewEgg, and I see an AMD AM2 which fits the bill, but its about 15 more than the 939. I'm not really much of an upgrade junkie, so I don't think I'll be swapping around parts once I get my computer built. I'm just looking to play some of the newer games at a reasonable level. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Homeworld 2, etc. Newer games, but certainly not the newest. Thats why I really enjoyed the Venice chip, it seemed really dependable for what I need. Am I way off the mark? As always, thanks a ton for the input and help.

~Moogs~

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well... the reason 939 isn't a good idea is simply because AMD is no longer going to be making processors in that socket from what I"ve heard. If you haven't looked at it already you could maybe look into a Core 2 system? Socket AM2 is still a good idea though since it gives plenty of options and it's not that much more expensive than 939 or 940. Plus when you actually do decide to upgrade a few years down the road you'll be able to with AM2.

Mr_Wang

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Okay, so 939 is a bad idea? What exactly does it mean when it is rotating out of upgradeability? Does that mean once I get the chip / MB combo, then I'm pretty much stuck with it? Is 754 a better option? Does it have more going for it than 939? I picked that one because it had an absolute plethora of great reviews, and it is right where I need it to be in my budget. Is there a better option? Would stepping up to an AM2 and going with that board really hike the price ranges? I'm looking at NewEgg, and I see an AMD AM2 which fits the bill, but its about 15 more than the 939. I'm not really much of an upgrade junkie, so I don't think I'll be swapping around parts once I get my computer built. I'm just looking to play some of the newer games at a reasonable level. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Homeworld 2, etc. Newer games, but certainly not the newest. Thats why I really enjoyed the Venice chip, it seemed really dependable for what I need. Am I way off the mark? As always, thanks a ton for the input and help.

~Moogs~

For what you want to do the processor you picked out is a good route. You will want a motherboard with PCIE. I would suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813130491

Bosaka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
http://67.158.26.212:2370/Budget Athlon.pdf

I made a pdf doc of a recommended AM2 based budget Athlon 64 gaming system - its around $550 shipped (Complete System) One of the main things is you have to look out for is a lot of these new motherboards are using 24pin atx power supplies so you need a new ATX 2.0-2.2 Power Supply. (Included in the NSK 4400 Case). The Athlon 64 3500+ is only $6 more than the 3200+ 200mhz for 6 bucks is a great deal!.