DY357LX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Over the past week or so i've been experiencing system restarts for no apparent reason.
I think it began with when I got this error message in the BIOS start-up screen:
"BIOS Settings Wrong:
Press F1 To Continue
Press F2 To Load Default Settings."

Eager not to alter anything in my bios I hit F1, followed by "Save + Exit" but it took me back to same screen.
I restarted the pc (really eager not to change anything in the bios) but time and time again I was forced back to the same point and eventually I had to push F2.

The system booted but the restarts would hit at random times. (Mainly during gaming.)

So I updated my video card drivers, let Windows Update get the critical updates and did a full virus + spyware scan.

I'm running out of hope and my pc tech-savvy friend is unavailable to glance over the bios settings for me at the moment.

So do you nice guys have any idea's?

I've uploaded my DxDiag to here:
http://www.dy357lx.co.uk/downloads/DxDiag.txt
If any more information is needed, just tell me and i'll go get it.

Thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You could try resetting your cmos battery. Full system specs would help too here.

I would think restarts would be a Windows issue, shouldn't be dealing with BIOS, but who knows how Windows really works...

dthomason119

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Did you update the BIOS before the BIOS error appeared? If you have the option to Press F1 To Continue, Press F2 To Load Default Settings. you should go back into the BIOS to reconfigure the settings? Make sure all the fans are configured in the BIOS, also make sure the settings are configured as well.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hard reboots under heavy load are probably not software related. I also don't think BIOS settings could cause the problem, but they could be corrupted by conditions that might cause hard restarts.

My guesses:

1) Power supply. If this happens under heavy load your power supply could be overtaxed. Low voltage or an overheating power supply could be the problem. I have also had a power supply that slowly died, the failures and restarts started getting more frequent as time went on.

2) Wall power. If you have low voltage coming into the system from bad wiring, brownouts, etc, you will have problems similar to a bad P/S. It could also damage components in your computer.

3) Any random component that is bad, drawing too much power and causing the lockup. In this unlikely category you would include Proc, MB and RAM, but usually a bad proc or RAM will cause a lockup, screen frozen, not a power cycle.

4)Loose connection somewhere, especially power cables. I'd try to reseat all power connectors first, since it is the cheapest fix.

DY357LX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've disabled Hyper-Threading in the BIOS and so far everything seems fine.
(Touch wood and all that.)

Thanks again.