Windows 7 BSOD's

Hi there.

I just bought new system with the following:

- MB - ASUS P5P41D
- Intel Dual Core E6300
- ATI HD4850 512 RAM
- 2 GB DDR II 800 MHz
- PS 400 W Blue Storm

I bought the system, installed Windows 7, and, when playing games mostly i get BSOD's. The message is mostly different. Would appreciate any kind of help. I have created a complete memory dmp.
12 answers Last reply
More about windows bsod
  1. Justo to add, I have added latest drivers for everything. Windows is Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600.
  2. its hard to tell w/o an error message...
    make sure all your drivers are up to date...
    see if there is an up to date firmware for some of your hardware... even optical drives.
    Maybe trying a new BIOS version.
  3. I've been having a similar problem, I can run for 2-3 days straight with no BSOD's then I may get 2 in one evening. The annoying thing is that the error message is different almost every time...

IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    BAD_POOL_CALLER
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    And one about filemgmt or filesys (can't remember didn't write this one down)

I did some inital troubleshooting, memory diagnostics, MHDD scan, CHKDSK, CCleaner for registry and temp files etc...
    I'm 99% sure that none of my hardware is defective (having never had a single BSOD with this hardware on my previous 3 installs of XP). Therefore i'm led to believe that it's a driver/software related issue.

Does anyone have any particular advice in to tracking down which driver could possibly be responsible... I really want to avoid flashing anything, particularaly my BIOS. I tried using a program called RadarSync to check my driver versions, this reported that some of my drivers, mainly my mobo chipset drivers were out of date... I thought this strange as this is a fresh install of Win7 64bit so the drivers I'm using were all downloaded about a fortnight ago.

Here is my rig spec:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache @3.2GHz
    ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    2 x Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed
    PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
    NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0S 18x DVD±RW/DL/RAM Serial ATA
  4. to the OP, i'm sure of that brand of PSU, but it looks a bit lite for that system, can you try running with only one memory stick, and then the other or do some memory testing, could be a memory issue.
  5. PS is a bit weak for the system set up. Especially with an overclock....
  6. there's software that can track drivers on your pc and find out of date ones...
    search download.com for them.

As for 'stoleto' just remember a 'better' psu doesn't just mean one w/ more Watts. It had to be able to maintain a steady current on all the rails. I have a BFG psu and it works great, so don't settle for a brand you've never heard of
  7. Just to inform you that i have managed to get the BSOD's completely away from my PC :)

The issue was the following:

When i put the old 2GB DDR II 667MHz RAM to the new motherboard, it was automatically recognized as 800 MHz. I went into the BIOS and set the speed of the RAM to 667. Since then, no BSOD's. None. :)
  8. sometimes the BIOS misreads the firmware of some components... in your case the RAM
    which can cause serious issues
  9. Might have been, i could not read the dmp's. However, just to inform you, the RAM is working perfectly at the normal speed. It was working normally for a year before i put it on the new MB. Now, with the speed changed, its all working normally again.
  10. thats good to hear its all working.
    to read the dmps, you need the Windows Debugger tool. Its free from Microsoft.
  11. stoleto said:
    Just to inform you that i have managed to get the BSOD's completely away from my PC :)

The issue was the following:

When i put the old 2GB DDR II 667MHz RAM to the new motherboard, it was automatically recognized as 800 MHz. I went into the BIOS and set the speed of the RAM to 667. Since then, no BSOD's. None. :)

Yup! happened in WinXP too for me too. Glad ya caught it!
  12. The only BSOD's I've had w\ Windows 7 ( RC1 ) have been w\ video card drivers. Uninstalling and installing a new driver cleared up the problems.

oh, also.... Folding@Home!!! it's packaged w\ the ati driver and I installed it not really thinking much of it... but it defaulted to something like 80% utilization or something, idk..> But it took me several reboots before i realized it was starting w\ windows and automatically shooting my cpu and gpu utilization to 100% and overheating / bsod'ing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Blue Screen