gigabit and 1000baseT

There is a discussion related to Linux/390 claiming
that 1000baseT is not gigabit ethernet. I believe the
claim is that only fiber based systems use the gigabit name.

Now, I do believe that fiber gigabit was available earlier,
and at some point the only gigabit ethernet was fiber, but
I do not believe that is true anymore.

Is there an official consensus that 1000baseT is gigabit?

-- glen
5 answers Last reply
More about gigabit 1000baset

    In article <N2yed.175833$He1.148451@attbi_s01>,
    glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

    > There is a discussion related to Linux/390 claiming
    > that 1000baseT is not gigabit ethernet. I believe the
    > claim is that only fiber based systems use the gigabit name.
    >
    > Now, I do believe that fiber gigabit was available earlier,
    > and at some point the only gigabit ethernet was fiber, but
    > I do not believe that is true anymore.
    >
    > Is there an official consensus that 1000baseT is gigabit?

    The very first sentence of Clause 40 of IEEE 802.3 states, "The
    1000BASE-T PHY is one of the Gigabit Ethernet family of high-speed
    CSMA/CD network specifications."

    --
    Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
    21885 Bear Creek Way

    Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

    Rich Seifert wrote:

    (snip)

    > The very first sentence of Clause 40 of IEEE 802.3 states, "The
    > 1000BASE-T PHY is one of the Gigabit Ethernet family of high-speed
    > CSMA/CD network specifications."

    That sounds official enough for me.

    It seems that IBM sells two different interfaces
    for the z/architecture machines, one called gigabit and
    one as 1000baseT. That is about as far as I understand
    the discussion.

    thanks,

    -- glen

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

    > Rich Seifert wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> The very first sentence of Clause 40 of IEEE 802.3 states, "The
    >> 1000BASE-T PHY is one of the Gigabit Ethernet family of high-speed
    >> CSMA/CD network specifications."
    >
    > That sounds official enough for me.
    >
    > It seems that IBM sells two different interfaces
    > for the z/architecture machines, one called gigabit and
    > one as 1000baseT. That is about as far as I understand
    > the discussion.

    Seems to be one of those how many angels can dance on the head of a pin
    discussions.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > Rich Seifert wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> The very first sentence of Clause 40 of IEEE 802.3 states, "The
    >> 1000BASE-T PHY is one of the Gigabit Ethernet family of high-speed
    >> CSMA/CD network specifications."
    >

    > That sounds official enough for me.
    >
    > It seems that IBM sells two different interfaces
    > for the z/architecture machines, one called gigabit and
    > one as 1000baseT. That is about as far as I understand
    > the discussion.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > -- glen

    Did IBM tell you to run STP as opposed to UTP? That's what they were
    telling us was needed due to FCC requirements. We told them UTP was
    what we were going to install.

    Jay
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    On 2004-10-24, JD <qernqrq@pbznfg.arg> wrote:
    [snip: zseries and GigE and/or 1000BaseT]
    > Did IBM tell you to run STP as opposed to UTP? That's what they were
    > telling us was needed due to FCC requirements. We told them UTP was
    > what we were going to install.

    I recently did some cabling installation, and it was.. interesting.
    Getting stuff that is rated cat5e is near impossible if you ask for it.
    Ask for ``cat5'' (or ``kat5'') and you'll get cat5e, no sweat. But ask
    for cat5e and they'll swear on everything they can think of they don't
    have it. And... unshielded I haven't seen yet. It's all FTP. Oh well.
    Don't ever mention you want GigE though, 'cus that's what they have
    the shiny orange cat6 for. Or the even shinier orange cat7. w00t.

Ethernet Card Systems Linux Networking