Trying out diagnostics

"Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this will
replace any corrupt files."

I had found the above instructions in a computer magazine. My NEC computer
came preloaded with XP Home. When I run the CD I first get a window
indicating all the files in the CD. After typing the commands into the Run
box, nothing happens. Tried a couple of times. Nothing happens. Is there
something else I have to do?

TIA

Type cmd in the Run box, then type sfc /scannow at the C:\>_

Type exit to close the cmd box.

"Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message
> "Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this
> will
> replace any corrupt files."
>
> I had found the above instructions in a computer magazine. My NEC computer
> came preloaded with XP Home. When I run the CD I first get a window
> indicating all the files in the CD. After typing the commands into the
> Run
> box, nothing happens. Tried a couple of times. Nothing happens. Is there
> something else I have to do?
>
> TIA

Hi Ben,

Quite often I've found that running SFC from a run prompt fails to start.
Why? I don't know. A workaround is to click start/run, type CMD and click
ok. Then run sfc /scannow from the prompt. If prompted to insert the XP CD,
and all you have is a restore CD, this may not work as this function draws
from the I386 folder which may not be present in a restore disk (they are
frequently images and are not in a standard generic format). In these cases
it is necessary to change the sourcepath for the system installation files
in the system registry to match the local hard drive store (which is where
the image disk places it). Post back if you need instructions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message
> "Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this
> will
> replace any corrupt files."
>
> I had found the above instructions in a computer magazine. My NEC computer
> came preloaded with XP Home. When I run the CD I first get a window
> indicating all the files in the CD. After typing the commands into the
> Run
> box, nothing happens. Tried a couple of times. Nothing happens. Is there
> something else I have to do?
>
> TIA

Thanks Rick for your response. I looked at the CD and read the printing on
it. Here's what it says:
NEC
Windows XP Home Installation CD

This is a back-up CD-ROM only. May be used only with a NEC Computer. The
software included on this CD-ROM was pre-installed on your hard drive at the
factory. This CD contains software for backup purposes only. The performance
of the software is the sole responsibility of the PC manufacturer of the
computer system purchased with the software.

Would you say that this CD contains the complete XP Home?

Two others CDs were also included:
1. Applications Installation CD.
2. Online Documentation and Drivers CD.

Regards

> Hi Ben,
>
> Quite often I've found that running SFC from a run prompt fails to start.
> Why? I don't know. A workaround is to click start/run, type CMD and click
> ok. Then run sfc /scannow from the prompt. If prompted to insert the XP
CD,
> and all you have is a restore CD, this may not work as this function draws
> from the I386 folder which may not be present in a restore disk (they are
> frequently images and are not in a standard generic format). In these
cases
> it is necessary to change the sourcepath for the system installation files
> in the system registry to match the local hard drive store (which is where
> the image disk places it). Post back if you need instructions.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message
> > "Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this
> > will
> > replace any corrupt files."
> >
> > I had found the above instructions in a computer magazine. My NEC
computer
> > came preloaded with XP Home. When I run the CD I first get a window
> > indicating all the files in the CD. After typing the commands into the
> > Run
> > box, nothing happens. Tried a couple of times. Nothing happens. Is there
> > something else I have to do?
> >
> > TIA

Hi,

Sure sounds like an image restore CD. Look at it with Windows Explorer and
see if there is an I386 folder on the root.

--

> Thanks Rick for your response. I looked at the CD and read the printing on
> it. Here's what it says:
> NEC
> Windows XP Home Installation CD
>
> This is a back-up CD-ROM only. May be used only with a NEC Computer. The
> software included on this CD-ROM was pre-installed on your hard drive at
> the
> factory. This CD contains software for backup purposes only. The
> performance
> of the software is the sole responsibility of the PC manufacturer of the
> computer system purchased with the software.
>
> Would you say that this CD contains the complete XP Home?
>
> Two others CDs were also included:
> 1. Applications Installation CD.
> 2. Online Documentation and Drivers CD.
>
> Regards

>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Quite often I've found that running SFC from a run prompt fails to start.
>> Why? I don't know. A workaround is to click start/run, type CMD and click
>> ok. Then run sfc /scannow from the prompt. If prompted to insert the XP
> CD,
>> and all you have is a restore CD, this may not work as this function
>> draws
>> from the I386 folder which may not be present in a restore disk (they are
>> frequently images and are not in a standard generic format). In these
> cases
>> it is necessary to change the sourcepath for the system installation
>> files
>> in the system registry to match the local hard drive store (which is
>> where
>> the image disk places it). Post back if you need instructions.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message
>> > "Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this
>> > will
>> > replace any corrupt files."
>> >
>> > I had found the above instructions in a computer magazine. My NEC
> computer
>> > came preloaded with XP Home. When I run the CD I first get a window
>> > indicating all the files in the CD. After typing the commands into the
>> > Run
>> > box, nothing happens. Tried a couple of times. Nothing happens. Is
>> > there
>> > something else I have to do?
>> >
>> > TIA

Thanks. Did that OK.

> Hi,
>
> Sure sounds like an image restore CD.

Could I use it for reinstall or reformat and clean install?

Look at it with Windows Explorer and
> see if there is an I386 folder on the root.

How do I look at it with Windows Explorer? All I ever do is put the CD in,
its on Auto Run, and use it.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rick for your response. I looked at the CD and read the printing
on
> > it. Here's what it says:
> > NEC
> > Windows XP Home Installation CD
> >
> > This is a back-up CD-ROM only. May be used only with a NEC Computer. The
> > software included on this CD-ROM was pre-installed on your hard drive at
> > the
> > factory. This CD contains software for backup purposes only. The
> > performance
> > of the software is the sole responsibility of the PC manufacturer of the
> > computer system purchased with the software.
> >
> > Would you say that this CD contains the complete XP Home?
> >
> > Two others CDs were also included:
> > 1. Applications Installation CD.
> > 2. Online Documentation and Drivers CD.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Ben,
> >>
> >> Quite often I've found that running SFC from a run prompt fails to
start.
> >> Why? I don't know. A workaround is to click start/run, type CMD and
click
> >> ok. Then run sfc /scannow from the prompt. If prompted to insert the XP
> > CD,
> >> and all you have is a restore CD, this may not work as this function
> >> draws
> >> from the I386 folder which may not be present in a restore disk (they
are
> >> frequently images and are not in a standard generic format). In these
> > cases
> >> it is necessary to change the sourcepath for the system installation
> >> files
> >> in the system registry to match the local hard drive store (which is
> >> where
> >> the image disk places it). Post back if you need instructions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorm.com> wrote in message

> > computer

Hi Ben,

>> Sure sounds like an image restore CD.

> Could I use it for reinstall or reformat and clean install?

The latter.

>> Look at it with Windows Explorer and see if there is an I386 folder on
>> the root.

> How do I look at it with Windows Explorer? All I ever do is put the CD in,
> its on Auto Run, and use it.

Insert the CD, then depress and hold the <shift> key to override the
autorun. Then open Windows Explorer using one of these means:

a) Winkey + E

b) Double click "My Computer"

c) Start/All programs/Accessories

Then right click on the CD and choose explore.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<snipped>

The are eight folders in there, including Setup. But no I386 folder.

> Hi Ben,
>
> >> Sure sounds like an image restore CD.
>
> > Could I use it for reinstall or reformat and clean install?
>
> The latter.
>
> >> Look at it with Windows Explorer and see if there is an I386 folder on
> >> the root.
>
> > How do I look at it with Windows Explorer? All I ever do is put the CD
in,
> > its on Auto Run, and use it.
>
> Insert the CD, then depress and hold the <shift> key to override the
> autorun. Then open Windows Explorer using one of these means:
>
> a) Winkey + E
>
> b) Double click "My Computer"
>
> c) Start/All programs/Accessories
>
> Then right click on the CD and choose explore.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> <snipped>

Hi,

As I suspected, it is a restore disk that contains an image. You will need
to adjust the sourcepath key in the registry. Did you need instructions on
this?