WWW and MAIL DNS Setup

Hi, I have setup a w2k server as our DC running DNS and the domain name I
used was "ourcompany.com".
Our website and email are hosted elsewhere so to access these servers I
setup a forward zone for each and then created a host record with no name and
the ip address of the host's servers and it seems to work fine.
My questions are -

Is this the correct way to deal with this situation or is there a better,
correct, or 'standard' approach?

When creating a zone which is the best type? i.e. Active Directory, Standard
primary

When choosing a domain name when setting up a server should you use
"mycompany.com"? I'm just curious about this one because it just seems to
cause me a lot of problems. And if I find myself setting up another sever in
the future it would be nice to know if I should do it different.
Thanks for any help or advice you may have to offer.
1 answer Last reply
More about mail setup

    In news:9ECEDB11-C60F-4135-87B5-29CC673D60C8@microsoft.com,
    Patrick McCann <PatrickMcCann@discussions.microsoft.com> posted this:
    > Hi, I have setup a w2k server as our DC running DNS and the domain
    > name I used was "ourcompany.com".
    > Our website and email are hosted elsewhere so to access these servers
    > I setup a forward zone for each and then created a host record with
    > no name and the ip address of the host's servers and it seems to work
    > fine.
    > My questions are -
    >
    > Is this the correct way to deal with this situation or is there a
    > better, correct, or 'standard' approach?
    >
    > When creating a zone which is the best type? i.e. Active Directory,
    > Standard primary
    >
    > When choosing a domain name when setting up a server should you use
    > "mycompany.com"? I'm just curious about this one because it just
    > seems to cause me a lot of problems. And if I find myself setting up
    > another sever in the future it would be nice to know if I should do
    > it different.
    > Thanks for any help or advice you may have to offer.

    You can name the internal domain anything you want as long as it is not a
    single-label name i.e. domain vs. domain.com.
    You should probably not use the same name internally as the public domain
    name. This will cause name conflicts between the two domains. You can add
    the host records for www and mail, but the domain name must only resolve to
    the IP addresses on all DCs that have file sharing enabled so as to not
    cause a problem for the SYSVOL DFS share at \\dnsdomain\sysvol
    I usually recommend in internal name like corp.mycompany.com which satisfies
    all concerns. It won't conflict with the website name and it is a
    multi-label name.

    --?
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]