nslookup DNS resolve works, anything else not

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 19, 2005 6:20:13 AM

Hi,

we got a problem concerning the lookup of hostnames on a W2K-Server
SP4.

The Server is located with some more windows server and a linux
DNS-Server in an own firewall zone. All servers in that zone got
private IP adresses.
The linux box is pingable.

The private IP adress of the linux dns is configured as primary DNS
source.
If we do a commandline nslookup (e.g. "nslookup www.microsoft.com"),
all works fine, the host name is resolved successfully.

But any other application which has to make lookup hostnames fail. We
tried different graphical freeware Ping/Trace/Lookup-Tools, all of them
seem to use the Windows-API for resolving hostnames and all of them
show the error:

"Host lookup failed (WinSock error 11001: Host not found)"

Typing an address into the browser, the IE seems even not trying to
resolve the address.

We started the MS Network Monitor in Backgrund. The NSLOOKUP command
sends two DNS packets to the linux BOX. All fine. Starting any other
lookup (e.g. Browser) no network packets are send.

What does nslookup different to any other lookup? Why does nslookup
work and anything else not? Any hint would be very helpful ...

Regards,
Ulli Hahndorf, indiwa
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 10:54:08 AM

In news:1116494413.179188.259490@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
indiwa <groups@indiwa.de> posted this:
> Hi,
>
> we got a problem concerning the lookup of hostnames on a W2K-Server
> SP4.
>
> The Server is located with some more windows server and a linux
> DNS-Server in an own firewall zone. All servers in that zone got
> private IP adresses.
> The linux box is pingable.
>
> The private IP adress of the linux dns is configured as primary DNS
> source.
> If we do a commandline nslookup (e.g. "nslookup www.microsoft.com"),
> all works fine, the host name is resolved successfully.
>
> But any other application which has to make lookup hostnames fail. We
> tried different graphical freeware Ping/Trace/Lookup-Tools, all of
> them seem to use the Windows-API for resolving hostnames and all of
> them show the error:
>
> "Host lookup failed (WinSock error 11001: Host not found)"
>
> Typing an address into the browser, the IE seems even not trying to
> resolve the address.
>
> We started the MS Network Monitor in Backgrund. The NSLOOKUP command
> sends two DNS packets to the linux BOX. All fine. Starting any other
> lookup (e.g. Browser) no network packets are send.
>
> What does nslookup different to any other lookup? Why does nslookup
> work and anything else not? Any hint would be very helpful ...

Nslookup appends the suffixes from the DNS suffix search list.
To see nslookup do this use nslookup -d2 command.

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
June 9, 2005 6:55:19 AM

if we do not setup DNS client to append the domain names, then nslookup
will not do so. But is there a way by which hostnames (not
fully-qualified) will be queryed to the DNS server by ping/IE etc ?

--
usr