When DNS server is down ...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi :

I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003, it's
the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is down; there
are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping" each other by
name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no entry there. The
WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just wondering where the
"ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding IPs for its target?

Thanks In Advance!
Polaris
3 answers Last reply
More about when server
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    It happens that Polaris formulated :
    > Hi :
    >
    > I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003, it's
    > the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is down; there
    > are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping" each other by
    > name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no entry there. The
    > WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just wondering where the
    > "ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding IPs for its target?
    >
    > Thanks In Advance!
    > Polaris

    maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
    did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?

    grtz

    --
    just a suggestion:

    d;-p
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    Hi: Thanks for your info. I checked, the ARP cache does not have any records
    of machine names (arp -a). Where is DNS cache? Will it keep name/ip of other
    machines?

    "chriske911" <chriske911@yaghoo.com> wrote in message
    > It happens that Polaris formulated :
    >> Hi :
    >>
    >> I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003,
    >> it's the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is
    >> down; there are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping"
    >> each other by name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no
    >> entry there. The WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just
    >> wondering where the "ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding
    >> IPs for its target?
    >>
    >> Thanks In Advance!
    >> Polaris
    >
    > maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
    > did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?
    >
    > grtz
    >
    > --
    > just a suggestion:
    >
    > d;-p

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    Polaris submitted this idea :
    > Hi: Thanks for your info. I checked, the ARP cache does not have any records
    > of machine names (arp -a). Where is DNS cache? Will it keep name/ip of other
    > machines?
    >
    > "chriske911" <chriske911@yaghoo.com> wrote in message
    >> It happens that Polaris formulated :
    >>>

    >> maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
    >> did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?
    >>
    >> grtz
    >>
    >> -- just a suggestion:
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    >>
    >> d;-p