When DNS server is down ...

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi :

I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003, it's
the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is down; there
are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping" each other by
name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no entry there. The
WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just wondering where the
"ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding IPs for its target?

Thanks In Advance!
Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

It happens that Polaris formulated :
> Hi :
>
> I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003, it's
> the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is down; there
> are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping" each other by
> name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no entry there. The
> WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just wondering where the
> "ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding IPs for its target?
>
> Thanks In Advance!
> Polaris

maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi: Thanks for your info. I checked, the ARP cache does not have any records
of machine names (arp -a). Where is DNS cache? Will it keep name/ip of other
machines?

"chriske911" <chriske911@yaghoo.com> wrote in message
> It happens that Polaris formulated :
>> Hi :
>>
>> I have just noticed that while the DNS server (a Windows Server 2003,
>> it's the only DNS server for this domain, it's also an AD server) is
>> down; there are two machines (one XP and another W2k) can still "ping"
>> each other by name. I checked the "host" files for both and there is no
>> entry there. The WINS is not enabled in either of the machines. I just
>> wondering where the "ping" resolved the machine name and corresponding
>> IPs for its target?
>>
>> Thanks In Advance!
>> Polaris
>
> maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
> did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?
>
> grtz
>
> --
> just a suggestion:
>
> d;-p

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Polaris submitted this idea :
> Hi: Thanks for your info. I checked, the ARP cache does not have any records
> of machine names (arp -a). Where is DNS cache? Will it keep name/ip of other
> machines?
>
> "chriske911" <chriske911@yaghoo.com> wrote in message
>> It happens that Polaris formulated :
>>>

>> maybe netbios is enabled on those machines
>> did you look at the arp cache and the dns cache?
>>
>> grtz
>>
>> -- just a suggestion:
>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>>
>> d;-p