Sign in with
Your question

Real quickfire question about P5B & P5W WiFi

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2006 4:11:39 PM

Am I right in thinking that the WiFi part of the product name means the same as having one of these in your computer from the word go? (I use a wireless network, and it may be better for me to pay extra for the WiFi board than buy a seperate Wireless PCI card)

Oh.. and:
From the P5W specifications:

"1 x Asus DH Remote™
1 x ASUS DH Remote™ Receiver
1 x ASUS MP3-In™ module
1 x ASUS WiFi-AP Solo Antenna"

What's all that about? Sounds pretty interesting.
August 21, 2006 5:08:45 PM

It may be better, but only from the standpoint of you already wnating to purchase a new board, but if you already have a suffice board! I would just get the wireless card w/ Bluetooth integrated.
August 21, 2006 5:10:25 PM

Nah, atm my computer is about 3-4 years old. I'm building a complete new one. Even getting rid of my old speakers and CRT monitor.

It's either the Gigabyte DS4 + a wireless network card, or the Asus P5W which has one on board. (That is what the WiFi thing means, right?)
Related resources
August 21, 2006 5:22:32 PM

I have the Asus P5W D and it's the BEST board I have ever had. I'm truly a fan of Asus after getting the Gigabyte and Intel boards in the past. I would definitely go w/ Asus on this one. Good luck!
August 24, 2006 11:32:43 AM

Haven't got my questions answered as well as i'd have liked..
anyone help? :) 
August 24, 2006 12:31:12 PM

The ASUS P5W DH Deluxe comes with a Wi-Fi built on the board. You can use it just as if you had a Wireless PCI card. No need to put another Wi-Fi card in your computer with this board. If I remember correctly, you can also use this board as an access point by just connecting the computer to a LAN port and sharing the internet connection. My board should be in today! =D I'll give you an update as soon as I get it together!
August 24, 2006 12:32:42 PM

Awesome, that's what I needed, thanks.
Since I need a wireless network anyway - the WiFi addition to the P5W should offset the price tag.
August 24, 2006 12:34:02 PM

Quote:
Q: Why does the system fail to boot with Intel Core 2 processor? Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem?

A:
As this motherboard launched before Intel Core 2 processors, the corresponding microcodes were forced to be updated after the launch of these CPUs.

Though most P5W DH Deluxe motherboards come with up-to-date BIOS with the new CPU microcodes capable of supporting Intel Core 2 processors, there may still be a small quantity of motherboards out on the market without this update.

This problem can be resolved by updating BIOS to 0604 or later.
Please use a non-Core 2 processor to boot and perform this BIOS update.
The latest BIOS can be found at http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

If your BIOS happens to be earlier than 0604, and have no non-Core 2 processor in hand, please contact your reseller (place of purchase) for BIOS exchange service.
Moreover, if your reseller is no longer in business or have difficult to do so, please contact your nearest ASUS office directly.

* To contact your nearest ASUS office, please refer to http://support.asus.com/contact/contact.aspx

* To download the latest BIOS, please go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

* For detail CPU support list, please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

this was on the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe website. Just in case you need it ;) 
August 24, 2006 1:30:33 PM

Yes, even though the WiFi is a definite plus, the P5W-DH Deluxe is just a great board all around. The remote helps control some of the motherboard functions, such as going into low-power mode, quieting fans, whatnot. I think its just cool to have a remote for my computer, well, it'll be about 3 now, what with sound card, mobo, and receiver... =)

One more thing, are you comparing the P5B with the P5B deluxe, or the P5B with the P5W... makes no sense comparing P5B with P5W... shrug
August 24, 2006 1:52:46 PM

This can probably answer some of your other questions.
P5W-link
!