DNS problem

bill

we have a printer server using a static ip address. Whats strange is that
when i tracert the print server ip address i get a reply which appears to
come from another workstation (computername.domainname.companyname.com).

i cannot connect to this pc via vnc either.

clear the cache on your Win client machine:
ipconfig /flushdns

and check that the DNS Server does not have multiple machines sharing
the same IP address (as your Print Server). This can sometimes happen
when clients did not cleanly shutdown or detach from the domain
(e.g. hot unplug notebook from docking station).

Also, try to use the FQDN to rule out other name resolution issues
(e.g. NetBIOS / WINS used instead of DNS).

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.

"bill" wrote:

> we have a printer server using a static ip address. Whats strange is that
> when i tracert the print server ip address i get a reply which appears to
> come from another workstation (computername.domainname.companyname.com).
>
> i cannot connect to this pc via vnc either.

bill

thanks.

i tried the /flushdns and releaseing renewing ip addresses.

the DNS appears to be allowing multiple clients to use the same ip address.

how do i prevent this from happening??

"Desmond Lee" wrote:

> clear the cache on your Win client machine:
> ipconfig /flushdns
>
> and check that the DNS Server does not have multiple machines sharing
> the same IP address (as your Print Server). This can sometimes happen
> when clients did not cleanly shutdown or detach from the domain
> (e.g. hot unplug notebook from docking station).
>
> Also, try to use the FQDN to rule out other name resolution issues
> (e.g. NetBIOS / WINS used instead of DNS).
>
> Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.
>
> "bill" wrote:
>
> > we have a printer server using a static ip address. Whats strange is that
> > when i tracert the print server ip address i get a reply which appears to
> > come from another workstation (computername.domainname.companyname.com).
> >
> > i cannot connect to this pc via vnc either.

Go to the DHCP Server, locate duplicate IPs (assigned to multiple hosts) and
delete them. On the affected clients, type
ipconfig /renew

and new IP addresses will be assigned. Correspondingly if they are Win 2000
and above clients, their DNS A records will be updated in DNS automatically
(provided that the DNS Server accepts dynamic update - Win 200x Server and
above for instance).

"Desmond Lee" wrote:

> clear the cache on your Win client machine:
> ipconfig /flushdns
>
> and check that the DNS Server does not have multiple machines sharing
> the same IP address (as your Print Server). This can sometimes happen
> when clients did not cleanly shutdown or detach from the domain
> (e.g. hot unplug notebook from docking station).
>
> Also, try to use the FQDN to rule out other name resolution issues
> (e.g. NetBIOS / WINS used instead of DNS).
>
> Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.
>
> "bill" wrote:
>
> > we have a printer server using a static ip address. Whats strange is that
> > when i tracert the print server ip address i get a reply which appears to
> > come from another workstation (computername.domainname.companyname.com).
> >
> > i cannot connect to this pc via vnc either.

See my response to your other older post "DNS problem" dated 5.19.05

"bill" wrote:

> thanks.
>
> i tried the /flushdns and releaseing renewing ip addresses.
>
> the DNS appears to be allowing multiple clients to use the same ip address.
>
> how do i prevent this from happening??
>
> "Desmond Lee" wrote:
>
> > clear the cache on your Win client machine:
> > ipconfig /flushdns
> >
> > and check that the DNS Server does not have multiple machines sharing
> > the same IP address (as your Print Server). This can sometimes happen
> > when clients did not cleanly shutdown or detach from the domain
> > (e.g. hot unplug notebook from docking station).
> >
> > Also, try to use the FQDN to rule out other name resolution issues
> > (e.g. NetBIOS / WINS used instead of DNS).
> >
> > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.
> >
> > "bill" wrote:
> >
> > > we have a printer server using a static ip address. Whats strange is that
> > > when i tracert the print server ip address i get a reply which appears to
> > > come from another workstation (computername.domainname.companyname.com).
> > >
> > > i cannot connect to this pc via vnc either.

please ignore this (wrong cross reference).

"Desmond Lee" wrote:

> See my response to your other older post "DNS problem" dated 5.19.05
>

> "bill" wrote:
>
> > thanks.
> >
> > i tried the /flushdns and releaseing renewing ip addresses.
> >
> > the DNS appears to be allowing multiple clients to use the same ip address.
> >
> > how do i prevent this from happening??
> >
> > "Desmond Lee" wrote:
> >
> > > clear the cache on your Win client machine:
> > > ipconfig /flushdns
> > >
> > > and check that the DNS Server does not have multiple machines sharing
> > > the same IP address (as your Print Server). This can sometimes happen
> > > when clients did not cleanly shutdown or detach from the domain
> > > (e.g. hot unplug notebook from docking station).
> > >
> > > Also, try to use the FQDN to rule out other name resolution issues
> > > (e.g. NetBIOS / WINS used instead of DNS).
> > >
> > > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.

bill

thanks desmond.

the clients are renewing ip addresses fine however they do not appear to be
updating the dns with the new information. even when i delete the entrie
entirely it does not reapeear. the dhcp server is set to dnamicaly update the
dns and ptr records.