help with build please

borisyuranov

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
hi, i am gonna be building my self a new rig in next few days, im ok with the actual physical putting together but im a bit unsure about a few components..so if its ok with you guys/girls..here goe
core duo 6300
7900gt oc 256
80 gig for O/S and apps/games 250 for storage
i need help choosing motherboard,ram,case,psu...i can sort out the optical drive and other stuff later....i have about £800 ish to spend can go upto about £1000 if needed, any help would be very much appreciated...thanks

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
mobo: Gigabyte P965-DS3 retails for around $150 (not sure what you are going to pay in pounds through a british retailer)
PSU: 500+ watt, Seasonic, Antec Truepower 2 or Neo HE, Mushkin, Enermax liberty, FSP, Sparkle, and Tagan are all good choices (of course there is always the grand-daddy of them all, PCP&C, but that might be a budget buster)
Case: all depends on what you're after - silence, cooling, looks, space considerations, etc.

borisyuranov

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
i just want a good steady rig, not too bother about overclocking or anything, as far as the case goes, just one which will fit all the bits inside, if it needs more cooling i wiadd another fan..aas far as the noise, well ive iether got music on loud or gaming with headphones on, my frien sprays custom cars so i spose a plain metal case would be good so he can paint it a nice colour for me,,thnx for the help btw :D

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
In that case the cooler master centurion is good, fairly inexpensive and will do the job.

As for motherboard and PSU, that gigabyte will be a very stable platform, the fact that it is a good overclocker is just a bonus. Don't skimp on the PSU if you are really interested in stability. This is probably one the most overlooked aspects to building a stable, reliable computer. Not only will a good PSU power your system reliably, it will also not die and take your expensive components with it; nothing is sadder than a $1500 collection of parts getting fried because someone snatched up that Raidmax PSU, since it was such a "great deal."

:wink:

Windfish

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've ordered all the stuff for my E6300 system, and they're coming this week. I chose a Gigabyte DS3 for my mobo, as its got a good rep for overclocking, and seemed a whole lot better value than some of the pricier motherboards. I contemplated getting a 7900Gt, but went for a X1900GT instead, and saved about £40. I also saved a bit on the psu, and went with a £25 model, as I've not had any bad experiences with cheap ones yet. For the case I chose a Lian Li pc 60 plus, its a full aluminium case and has a nice cpu blower duct, which appealed to me, its fairly pricey, but not too bad for a higher end case. Including a 19" monitor, my whole system has cost me about £860. There's a good offer on Geil memory here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Geil_DDR2_Memory.html it will be useful for overclocking, and is considerably cheaper at the moment than any other similar specced RAM.

borisyuranov

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
the reason i though about the 80 gig HD for apss and O/S, and the other for storage, is because i thought it might help speed up boot time and also just help me to keep my rig organised, i have a lot of images/renders/stock photos and stuff i use for photoshop...was just a though but if it gives me no benefit i will scrap the idea ??

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Well it won't give you any extra speed at all (SATA is SATA, the only way it's gonna get any faster is in a RAID config) and if you're worried about organisation, then partition it with one for progs/OS and another for storage - you won't lose any space, and your PC will be quieter and consume less power.