address of root name servers?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I would like to know where the addresses of the root name servers (.us, .be,
..com etc ..) are saved. And suppose one of those addresses doesn't match
anymore, how to let know that to the hole world?

Thanks
bob

In news:%23Me4CaiXFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ben <e@s.lm> posted this:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know where the addresses of the root name servers
> (.us, .be, .com etc ..) are saved. And suppose one of those addresses
> doesn't match anymore, how to let know that to the hole world?

Replacing root hints with the Cache.dns file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249868

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Ben" <e@s.lm> wrote in message news:#Me4CaiXFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know where the addresses of the root name servers (.us,
..be,
> .com etc ..) are saved.

Those are NOT "root" zones you list. The root zone is
name "." (pronounced "DOT" usually).

Technically those (.com, us, etc.) are "top level zones".

They are kept on one of the DNS servers which are
delegated from the root servers to hold that particular
zone -- the root servers and many of those TLD zones
servers are spread around the world with the
majority/plurality of the traditional zones (com, net, edu)
being physically in the US or sometimes in the country
for two letter country code servers (.iq was for a many
years in the US instead of in Iraq.)

> And suppose one of those addresses doesn't match
> anymore, how to let know that to the hole world?

It is the responsibility of the zone DNS admin to make
sure the parent domain can find the correct DNS servers.

I believe that (most) of the traditional top level 3-letter
domains are now kept on "one set" of DNS servers but
there may be exceptions (e.g., .com and .net are both on
GTLD-SERVERS.)

You can always just query for the zones and "work your way
down" using NSLookup or some such:

nslookup -q=ns .

Among others this gives:

C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET internet address = 192.33.4.12

And you can (use one of those IPs to) perform (terminate with DOT):

nslookup -q=ns com. 192.33.4.12

Among others this gives:

A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET internet address = 192.5.6.30

And you can do country codes like this (terminate with DOT):

nslookup -q=ns pk. 192.33.4.12

Which gives:

AUTH51.NS.UU.NET internet address = 198.6.1.162

From a Top Level server you can of course check your won
delegation thusly:

nslookup -q=NS learnquick.com. 192.5.6.30

Which gives:

ns1.learnquick.com internet address = 68.178.144.60
ns2.learnquick.com internet address = 68.178.144.61
--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for replying.

To be sure i understand this: (if you don't mind)
In the mmc of DNS on my DC, in Cached Lookups, i see this:
directory 'com'
directory 'net'
(same as parent folder) NS j.root-servers.net
(same as parent folder) NS b.root-servers.net
(same as parent folder) NS k.root-servers.net

When clicking on 'com', i see:
directory 'chekcpoint'
directory 'zonelabs'
(same as parent folder) NS a.gtld-servers.net
etc ..

When clicking on 'net', i see:
directory 'GTLD-servers'
directory 'root-servers'
A A 192.5.6.30
A AAAA 2001:0503:a83e:0000:0000...
B A ...
B AAAA ...
When clicking on 'root-servers, i see:
a A 198.41.0.4
b A ...
c A ...

Can you explain me what this represent?
Why do i have a diretcory 'com' and 'net' and not e.g. 'be' or 'gov'?
Why do i have a directory 'checkpoint ' and 'zonelabs'? Where do they come
from?
What are the root-servers and the GTLD-servers?
What is type AAAA?
What represents actually j.root-servers.net for example?

Thanks in advance for your time
bob

"Ben" <e@s.lm> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying.
>
> To be sure i understand this: (if you don't mind)
> In the mmc of DNS on my DC, in Cached Lookups, i see this:

Why are you fooling with that? I practically never look in the
cache -- sometimes I think this is the reason that MS disabled
viewing it by default, i.e., to keep people from messing with
it.

On rare occasions I clear the cache...but looking in there is
practically never a good use of my time.

> directory 'com'
> directory 'net'
> (same as parent folder) NS j.root-servers.net
> (same as parent folder) NS b.root-servers.net
> (same as parent folder) NS k.root-servers.net

Those are the cached DNS servers (NS=name server).

And the cached child domains (containers), com. and net.

> When clicking on 'com', i see:
> directory 'chekcpoint'

Some .com zone (checkpoint).

> directory 'zonelabs'

Some .com zone (zonelabs).

One might guess you (or your users) have been
visiting firewall companies. <grin>

> (same as parent folder) NS a.gtld-servers.net
> etc ..
>
> When clicking on 'net', i see:
> directory 'GTLD-servers'

The "zone" where they keep the TopLevelDomain DNS
servers (TLD).

> directory 'root-servers'
> A A 192.5.6.30
> A AAAA 2001:0503:a83e:0000:0000...
> B A ...
> B AAAA ...

And some addresses both A for IPv4 and the "new Internet"
format for IPv6 (AAAA).

> When clicking on 'root-servers, i see:
> a A
198.41.0.4
> b A ...
> c A ...

Same idea.

> Can you explain me what this represent?
> Why do i have a diretcory 'com' and 'net' and not e.g. 'be' or 'gov'?

Maybe because .gov and .be are not in your cache?

Ping or visit a web site in one of those, hit refresh and
see if they show up.

Also note that your CLIENT (where you ping) may not
be using THIS DNS server if you have more than one
configured in the client properties.

FYI: Internal DNS clients MUST use ONLY the internal
DNS server (set.)

> Why do i have a directory 'checkpoint ' and 'zonelabs'? Where do they come
> from?

You visited their domans -- or at least looked up their
addresses etc.

Or in a philosophical sense because you are interested
in firewalls <grin>

> What are the root-servers and the GTLD-servers?

Just that. The servers which are at the ROOT (or VERY
TOP) of the DNS hierarchy AND the servers which are
responsible (authoritative) for the "top level domains".

> What is type AAAA?

Long form (128 bit instead of 32 bit) IP address record.

IPv6.

> What represents actually j.root-servers.net for example?

Represents? It's a DNS server. It's name is J (root-servers.net)
and it has some IP listed just like any other IP machine.

> Thanks in advance for your time
> bob

Sure.

--