RDRAM question

mtngoat

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
About a year ago my brother had this computer "repaired" at a local shop. The computer came with RDRAM and the person who worked on his computer put DDR RAM in because he thought it to be more stable. Now recently my brother gave me the computer and I learned that motherboards are designed for either SDRAM or RDRAM. My game performance is absoulutly terrible, I get about 8-10fps with a p4 2.8ghz, 512 RAM (DDR...), and a geforce 4ti4600 with the latest drivers. I think using the wrong type of RAM is the reason behind the sluggish performance.

My question is does using DDR RAM in a computer designed for RDRAM damage anything and do you think it is the reason behind such poor fps in a game?

mpjesse

Splendid
AFAIK, it's impossible to mix DDR-SDRAM and RDRAM. So you have one or the other. Not both.

And your horrid performance is due to an old GeForce card, slow processor, and only 512MB of RAM. Since the GeForce 4xxx series, there have been 4 new generations of video cards (FX, 6800, 7800, and now 7900). Let's not forget that most of the community has moved from AGP to PCI-E now too. Since the P4 2.8Ghz days, we've all gone dual core and more efficient. Since the 512MB days, we've all gone with 2GB DDR2 667-800 speeds.

Time to upgrade my friend.