rocketprez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
I own an HP 554e and am looking to upgrade the processor. I have many different opinions locally and need help. It has been recommended that I get an Athlon XP 3200 2.2. Others say that because it is socket A that I can't buy just the processor but would have to also buy the motherboard and a possible memory upgrade. Presently, I have kingston KTC-PR266 1G x2. Any help would be appreciated.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I own an HP 554e and am looking to upgrade the processor. I have many different opinions locally and need help. It has been recommended that I get an Athlon XP 3200 2.2. Others say that because it is socket A that I can't buy just the processor but would have to also buy the motherboard and a possible memory upgrade. Presently, I have kingston KTC-PR266 1G x2. Any help would be appreciated.

You can get the 3200 in socket A (Barton), I'm not sure if your mobo will run it since it requires 400 Mhz fsb, and yours is 266 (I think, check your BIOS) which will limit you to 2800+ or below.

You won't be able to swap your motherboard without buying a new copy of Windows. HP uses a scheme known as Tattooing on its motherboards. Some identification numbers are "burned" into the BIOS by HP to prevent people from copying Windows to a new computer. This is why you don't need to activate Windows on a HP.

rocketprez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
My BIOS says the CPU CACHE is 512kb. Is this the info you spoke of? Also can you recommend the best upgrade choice? You have been most helpful.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
The highest processor you'll be able to upgrade to looks like a 2800+. If you do decide to upgrade, make sure that you specify Socket A (Barton) and 266 Front Side Bus, as there are other models of the 2800+. Also, make sure that you can return the CPU if it doesn't work (It should work, but I don't know if HP has any traps built into the BIOS to keep from upgrading).

I hate to say this, but I think your best path is a new system. Moving from a 2400+ to a 2800+ isn't going to be very noticable in current programs. With PC2100 RAM, a 266 fsb, and Integrated graphics, your computer is throttled by its own chipset, so just replacing the CPU isn't going to be a big gain. I wouldn't put any more money into this machine - just save the cash for a new one. :(

Note: I am basing this on what I could find on your machine - There isn't a whole lot of info out there:
Chipset:VIA ProSavageDDR KM266 (HP variant)
S3 Pro Savage Integrated Graphic Controller
VIA AC'97 Audio Controller
Memory: PC2100
FSB: 266

If anyone knows anything different, please say so.

rocketprez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Thanks so much for the help. One other question; what would you recommend for a new motherboard or combo processor/ motherboard. I have the windows disc, so reinstalling shouldn't be a problem.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
exit2dos you've gone too far....

All hail V.I.N.CENT. That avatar rocks.

To the OP. Be careful. If you have a HP Windows OS recovery disk, it most likely will not work if you buy all new components.

If you have a genuine Windows XP OS install disk which requires activation, mother may feel you should have to purchase a new copy of the said OS.

rocketprez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Let's say in the 200-5oo range? Anything else
i should be aware of in the process would be most appreciated also. Thanks again all!

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Hmm, that's not much to work with. No offense.

I would seriously read up on the Anandtech articles regarding the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard. There's info on it here, here and here.

It seems like a solid board that can be used with Pentium Ds but more importantly supports the new Core 2 Duo (Conroe) procssor from Intel.

You will need to buy new memory, but the articles help cover that as well.

Read up and start saving.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Let's say in the 200-5oo range? Anything else
i should be aware of in the process would be most appreciated also. Thanks again all!

If you want to go Conroe, I would look at the E6300 & some "value" DDR2 RAM. As far as a motherboard goes, I would wait until a cheap one with integrated graphics comes along - just make sure it has a PCIe slot for when you want to upgrade your graphics. Yes, integrated sucks (comparitively), but it will still be many times better than the one you have now.

As far as a low-price AMD setup goes, I've not dealt with the "value" motherboards, so hopefully another member will jump in with a recommendation.

Keep in mind, that you'll probably have to buy a new Windows, a new power supply (I think yours is just 200W, might be enough for integrated graphics, but you'll want to replace it when you get a graphics card.), and maybe a new case (The power supply HP usually uses is smaller than the standard, so when you upgrade - the new power supply may not fit.)

You might even be able to find a prebuilt computer with everything for less than it costs you to build one yourself (This happens a lot in this price range). Just make sure it has a PCIe slot, so that you can upgrade further down the line. Also make sure it's not a Pentium D (or if it is, make sure that its motherboard will support a Conroe). If you're going AMD, then make sure it's socket AM2, not 754 or 939.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I would not try to upgrade your machine. Usualy the only upgrade of any use on this type of machine is memory, but you already have 2 Gig so its not worth it, and probably not possible.

I have several HP machines. The XP OS disk will only work on HP Compaq machines. On one of my old HP machines the connector from the case (power switch, led, speaker ect) are in one block which only fits the original motherboard, so you cannot even reuse the case without creating new wiring, and for the standard of case used in a HP machine it really is not worth the time and effort needed.

You could reuse some of the components but most of them are now out of date. I would keep the machine you have as a second machine and start from scratch. You could sell the machine and put those funds towards the new machine. Make sure you allow for a new copy of XP in you budget, because as said the XP shipped with HP machines will only work on HP Compaq machines.

What you could do is to make sure you are getting the best out of what you have. Check that your hard drive is working at the fastest UDMA setting supported by the hard disk and the motherboard. As you have 2 Gig of memory it may make sense to turn off the virtual memory, this would help performance. Disable any services you do not need. Check the performance settings on XP as well, and set them to maximise performance. This lot together would probably give you as much peformance boost as the new processor, and would not cost much if anything (maybe a new IDE cable). If you are using broadband make sure its connected by ethernet and NOT USB. If you need an ethernet card they are very cheap, so its not a big outlay.

Just my 2p worth

Rob Murphy