DNS Performance Levels

Hello all,

i am currently monitoring our dns servers and i am trying to check
performance through the performance montior.

my problem is i am trying to establish a good baseline and am unable to find
any good documentation to base this upon. can anybody point me too good
documentation?

Many thanks
Simon Whale

news.microsoft.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i am currently monitoring our dns servers and i am trying to check
> performance through the performance montior.
>
> my problem is i am trying to establish a good baseline and am unable
> to find any good documentation to base this upon. can anybody point
> me too good documentation?
>
> Many thanks
> Simon Whale

You'll find some info in the Reskit. I'm not sure how many zones you have or
how many clients are using it, but Windows 2000 &2003 DNS can handle
thousands of zones and thousands of queries a second. Your probable best bet
is to monitor the standard 4 baselines, such as Memory, NIC, CPU and
Physical Drive, and you can add the DNS objects too, so you can relate to
any changes between the server as a whole and what DNS is doing.

Read the Reskit for what Counters under those objects to log.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??