enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Need help between these 2 systems: Their in my price range(less than 700) and have what i want. This computer will only be used for guests to my home, so they dont hog over my nice one :D If theres anything better that i can do with these lists, please critique. Thanks :D
CD/DVD rom drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152055 :$32
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 $64
CPU: Athlon 64 3200+ $76
RAM: 1GB Kingston HyperX DDR400 $104
Video Card: Saphire Radeon X1800XT $200
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB SATA3.0 $44
Windows XP Home Edition OEM: $95
Antec Sonata II w/ PSU $90(If theres a better case and psu i can get seperate for 100 bucks, please recommend)
or:

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower $89.99

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $99.00

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard $85.99

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail $121.00
($101.00 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $43.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A $28.99

SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $119.99

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 $89.99

Total(Before rebate(s):683.94

Looking for the best performance under 700 bucks(600-650 is my target) The 1st list is from someone else who posted for someone that needed a computer to play WoW, and the x1800xt really caught my eye. Thanks :D

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The first one will probably be a better gaming platform, just by virtue of the x1800 vs the x850xt.

then again, I'd be charging my guests by the hour if I built a computer just for their use :D

Overall though, if they don't like it, tell 'em to hit the bricks!

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The first one will probably be a better gaming platform, just by virtue of the x1800 vs the x850xt.

then again, I'd be charging my guests by the hour if I built a computer just for their use :D

Overall though, if they don't like it, tell 'em to hit the bricks!

Lol. Thats very true. Some of them said they would pitch in to help pay for it though, since they will be using it. One of my friends has already given me a keyboard and mouse for it. I do like the 1st one, mostly becuase of the x1800xt. When i totalled everything up before tax and shipping, it came out to be around 620 bucks, which i was surprised about. Any things i should change? Overall concerns are the ram on both lists(valueselect, heard it wasnt reliable, even though i have it, and got good luck out of it) and the Case/PSU(Heard good and bad results from it, was looking into Forton Source for a PSU, but still not entirely sure. Still need some good feedback, thanks :D

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
If it's a games machine then the first build would be better due to the performance of the graphics card.

If it's a general/multimedia machine then the second build, definitely. You can comfortably overclock that San Diego too to FX-55 speeds if you get a decent cooler and the machine will be much nippier than the 3200+ build.

If you can stretch, though, the second build with an OC'd CPU and the graphics card from the top build would be vastly superior to both.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Value RAM from a solid brand is going to be fine . . . probably won't overclock worth a damn, but that's not why you're getting it.

FSP makes really good PSU's can't go wrong there. I'm not wild about the smartpower line of PSU's Antec makes I've used three in my own systems over the years and I would notice a fair amount of voltage drop on the +12volt rail . . . things may have changed since my last 350 watt smartpower unit 3 years ago though.

If you get the FSP PSU then I'd think about getting something like the Coolermaster centurion (cheap, decent quality, fairly good cooling characteristics.)

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
[quote="EnforcerFX"

One of my friends has already given me a keyboard and mouse for it. /quote]

Wow! A keyboard AND a mouse! You have some generous friends :p

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
[quote="EnforcerFX"

Smartass....i gaurantee that if you keep up with this attitude, you'll be banned within a week.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I have a tip, don't pay for windows.

Oh no here comes Bill Gates! 8O 8O

the worst part about all this is it is simpler to get an illegal copy and use it than it is to get a legal copy and use it all that protection stuff does is hassle the legit user.

same for games too

It would be simple to steal Oblivion, for example, but I bought it just because i knew it had no protection on it and it wouldn't hassle me.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
[quote="EnforcerFX"

Did your parents abuse you as a child? Or were you Raped by one of your family members? If so, i can see why your angry. Parents dont give you much attention i see, and thats how you show it. In regards to the other posters, Im leaning more towards the 1st list, mostly because of the x1800xt :D I also have some more questions now, 1st being that it has just came to mind. Im most likely not going to overclock this machine, so would the stock AMD cooler that comes with the CPU be fine? In regards about the ram, i think i will stick with the valueselect. If 1 or both of the sticks is faulty though, can i return it to newegg? Ive heard rumors about how you cant get your money back on valueselect ram. About pirating windows, i probably wont do that, buying a windows OEM legit disc is fine for me. Appreciate the help, still looking for options. Oh almost forgot, So i guess the centurion 5 and the Forton source PSU would be a better deal than the Antec setup? If so, can someone link me a Forton Source PSU thats within my 100 bucks case and PSU price range? Thanks :D

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Did your parents abuse you as a child? Or were you Raped by one of your family members? If so, i can see why your angry. Parents dont give you much attention i see, and thats how you show it. In regards to the other posters, Im leaning more towards the 1st list, mostly because of the x1800xt :D I also have some more questions now, 1st being that it has just came to mind. Im most likely not going to overclock this machine, so would the stock AMD cooler that comes with the CPU be fine? In regards about the ram, i think i will stick with the valueselect. If 1 or both of the sticks is faulty though, can i return it to newegg? Ive heard rumors about how you cant get your money back on valueselect ram. About pirating windows, i probably wont do that, buying a windows OEM legit disc is fine for me. Appreciate the help, still looking for options. Oh almost forgot, So i guess the centurion 5 and the Forton source PSU would be a better deal than the Antec setup? If so, can someone link me a Forton Source PSU thats within my 100 bucks case and PSU price range? Thanks :D

As for the RAM, it might be worth checking into . . . I've never had to return any so I can't answer that definetively.

The Stock cooler should be just fine.

here is a 450 watt Fortron for ~$50 with 36 amps on the +12 volt rail (combined).

As for towlie . . . I'll leave that alone lest I incur his wrath :D

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

As for the RAM, it might be worth checking into . . . I've never had to return any so I can't answer that definetively.

The Stock cooler should be just fine.

here is a 450 watt Fortron for ~$50 with 36 amps on the +12 volt rail (combined).

As for towlie . . . I'll leave that alone lest I incur his wrath :D

Yes i am looking into a better set of ram at this point. The Forton Source is a good price too, just what im looking for. I noticed it does not have a outtake fan on the back of the PSU? No matter though, ill just put some extra fans in i have lying around, and just move some air. Thanks for the help everyone.

BigguN

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
So is that first build already put together and somone selling?
If not, if I were going to put the effort into building a seperate
machine for my buds(assuming they would be gaming) I would
go ahead and shell out the extra 70 bones and toss that
x1800xt in there. It would drastically increase the life span of
the machine and give it that extra bump needed to boost game performance.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
So is that first build already put together and somone selling?
If not, if I were going to put the effort into building a seperate
machine for my buds(assuming they would be gaming) I would
go ahead and shell out the extra 70 bones and toss that
x1800xt in there. It would drastically increase the life span of
the machine and give it that extra bump needed to boost game performance.

Nah, that was the new list that i made, i wanted to compare the 2. Ok so ill probably now use the 2nd list, and swap the x850xt for the x1800xt, use the ram in the 2nd list, and buy a sepreate case and PSU, ok looks good, thanks guys :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The Forton Source is a good price too, just what im looking for. I noticed it does not have a outtake fan on the back of the PSU? No matter though, ill just put some extra fans in i have lying around, and just move some air. Thanks for the help everyone.
I bought the same PSU last week, except the 400w, and that big 120mm fan on the bottom draws enough air through the PSU to keep things cool, and help exhaust some case heat as well. If you notice, the whole back is vented, so the air being sucked through the fan has nowhere to go, but out the back. It works fine, no modifications needed. :wink: GL :)

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
The Forton Source is a good price too, just what im looking for. I noticed it does not have a outtake fan on the back of the PSU? No matter though, ill just put some extra fans in i have lying around, and just move some air. Thanks for the help everyone.
I bought the same PSU last week, except the 400w, and that big 120mm fan on the bottom draws enough air through the PSU to keep things cool, and help exhaust some case heat as well. If you notice, the whole back is vented, so the air being sucked through the fan has nowhere to go, but out the back. It works fine, no modifications needed. :wink: GL :)

Awesome. This sounds like a good bargain from the parts Im getting. Heres the last list, i hope its fine :D

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.0, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply - Retail $51.50

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail $99.00

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard $85.99

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail $121.00
($101.00 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $43.99

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A $28.99

SAPPHIRE 100154 Radeon X1800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM $199.99

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 $89.99

Total(Before rebate(s): $744.44

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
If anyone complains about getting fragged because their FPS dropped, just take that donated keyboard and whack 'em across the back of the head - you've earned the right :wink:

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
If anyone complains about getting fragged because their FPS dropped, just take that donated keyboard and whack 'em across the back of the head - you've earned the right :wink:

Well its gonna have a x1800xt in it. The FPS better not drop that much :D