Help WinXP Home Cannot Install

Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and additional
memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I want
to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a blank
blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install process;
nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
and hangs again...HELP!
6 answers Last reply
More about help winxp home install

    Hi ... I'm curious as to what type of xp home version you are using ??? Also
    wasn't your operating system that is on your Compaq
    Presario preinstall ???

    "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    > additional
    > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
    > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    > want
    > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    > blank
    > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    > process;
    > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
    > and hangs again...HELP!

    Hi

    Please see the following article by Michael Stevens:

    "Clean Install Windows XP"

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    > additional
    > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
    > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    > want
    > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    > blank
    > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    > process;
    > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
    > and hangs again...HELP!

    Hi RR, I am using winxp home ver 2002. I purchased it at Best Buy beginning
    of 2003. Not until now have I had chance to install. You r correct my
    operating system was orignally presinstalled with windows 98 backe when
    purchased in 1999. I have a new system that I primarily use. I wanted to
    learn to upgrade/build the older one. That is why I added HD and memory in
    the process I erased all that was previously on the Compaq; mostly motivated
    because of my dislike for windows 98 being too unstable, and hanging etc.

    "Road Runner" wrote:

    > Hi ... I'm curious as to what type of xp home version you are using ??? Also
    > wasn't your operating system that is on your Compaq
    > Presario preinstall ???
    >

    > "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    > > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    > > additional
    > > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
    > > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    > > want
    > > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    > > blank
    > > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    > > process;
    > > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
    > > and hangs again...HELP!

    i checked this site you rec. it looks like it could work. THANKS for
    telling me.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please see the following article by Michael Stevens:
    >
    > "Clean Install Windows XP"
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    > > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    > > additional
    > > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
    > > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    > > want
    > > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    > > blank
    > > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    > > process;
    > > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
    > > and hangs again...HELP!

    Hi ... I would check a couple of things ... First power off your computer
    and try changing your video card slot if you can , if not make sure its in
    there correctly ... Now you said you got some more memory are they the
    correct type ??? You need to make sure its the same speed and that your
    computer support that type , I would believe your computer only support 100
    MHz speed and it wouldn't support 133 ... how much memory do you have ???
    And what type are they ??? If memory is correct , then make sure you have
    the latest driver for your video card ... See if that helps

    > Hi RR, I am using winxp home ver 2002. I purchased it at Best Buy
    > beginning
    > of 2003. Not until now have I had chance to install. You r correct my
    > operating system was orignally presinstalled with windows 98 backe when
    > purchased in 1999. I have a new system that I primarily use. I wanted to
    > learn to upgrade/build the older one. That is why I added HD and memory
    > in
    > the process I erased all that was previously on the Compaq; mostly
    > motivated
    > because of my dislike for windows 98 being too unstable, and hanging etc.
    >
    > "Road Runner" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi ... I'm curious as to what type of xp home version you are using ???
    >> Also
    >> wasn't your operating system that is on your Compaq
    >> Presario preinstall ???
    >>

    >> "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    >> > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    >> > additional
    >> > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I
    >> > can
    >> > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    >> > want
    >> > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    >> > blank
    >> > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    >> > process;
    >> > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins
    >> > again
    >> > and hangs again...HELP!

    You should also bring your BIOS up to date. If the Presario is a laptop,
    you should restore the old system to get the laptop utilities back on, then
    download any of these that have been upgraded for XP. If it is a laptop you
    should upgrade rather than do a clean install so that the utilities are not
    wiped out. You can convert to NTFS after the upgrade is complete.

    "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am trying to clean install WinXP Home Edition on modified Compaq
    > Presario. All other software has been deleted/erased. New HD and
    > additional
    > memory added. When check for compatibility all seems to qualify. I can
    > begin boot from cd and it proceeds from there until screen asking if I
    > want
    > to setup, recover, cancel. I keep entering setup and then there is a
    > blank
    > blue screen. I have kept power on thinking maybe very slow install
    > process;
    > nothing happens. Hit restart or escape and the whole process begins again
    > and hangs again...HELP!

Windows XP