dns entry for exchange server

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

Hi
I have windows2003 and AD is libmary.com(not real) .I just installed the
Exchange 2003 server and i bought 2 comanies domain name which are
company1.com and company2.com.
Now i want set up the two domain name on my exchange server to recive and
send email.
How should i enter the DNS or which record i should enter in DNS server.
Or is it enough to enter MX record in ISP DNS?

"Dennis" <archer_uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have windows2003 and AD is libmary.com(not real) .I just installed
the
> Exchange 2003 server and i bought 2 comanies domain name which are
> company1.com and company2.com.

> Now i want set up the two domain name on my exchange server to recive
and
> send email.

Add an MX record for EACH domain that points to the
name of the Exchange SMTP server.

> How should i enter the DNS or which record i should enter in DNS
server.

Tell the Exchange server SMTP server to REPORT whatever
name you use for the PTR reverse record.

Have the (public) ISP or other REVERSE zone owner add a
PTR record that is the SAME (single) choice as self-reported
name of the exchange server.

> Or is it enough to enter MX record in ISP DNS?

You need two MX (one for each domain name) but each
will point to the SAME server name as the Exchange server
uses and this MUST equal the PTR record.

Also consider adding an SPF record for each domain/zone.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE