Closed

How to alter DNS with CMD command?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 30, 2005 1:00:40 PM

Hello!
What CMD Command is responsible for altering DNS IP?
Thanks in advance!

More about : alter dns cmd command

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:00:41 PM

In news:eFpstRLZFHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
An <pinetree@263.com> posted this:
> Hello!
> What CMD Command is responsible for altering DNS IP?
> Thanks in advance!

Please clarify, what are you trying to alter?

--?
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:00:42 PM

Excuse me for my poor English.
I use a modem dial-up connection,and the DNS server
address is set to Assigned Automatically.But,I have
found,the DNS assigned automatically didn't work.
So I want to temporarily assign another DNS server.
I wonder if there is a CMD command to do this.

An
May 30, 2005 7:00:43 PM

> I use a modem dial-up connection,and the DNS server
> address is set to Assigned Automatically.But,I have
> found,the DNS assigned automatically didn't work.
> So I want to temporarily assign another DNS server.
> I wonder if there is a CMD command to do this.

In the dial up settings for your Modem, there is a button
(Advanced or Properties or maybe Advanced Properties
but slightly different on Win2000-XP-etc).

You will see what looks almost like a regular NIC
properties sheet -- select IP and override the DNS
server even before you call.

Manual configuration takes precedence over dynamic.

Many people think that just because they get a DHCP
assigned address they cannot set their DNS server or
Default Gateway.

You can, however, set almost anything except for IP
address and subnet mask; these two parameters must
come from the DHCP server to be a DHCP client at
all.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"An" <ayk@bzmc.edu.cn> wrote in message
> Excuse me for my poor English.

> An

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:24:09 PM

Thanks!
I know how to set the DNS server adress in the GUI interface.
I want to know whether there is any command in command line mode.
-----------------------------------
An
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:24:10 PM

An wrote:
> Thanks!
> I know how to set the DNS server adress in the GUI interface.
> I want to know whether there is any command in command line mode.
> -----------------------------------
> An

There are many ways to do it for Windows 2000, XP and 2003. One way is using
the netsh command. You can also search the numerous VB scripts at either
Microsoft's Script Center at www.technet.com, or you can also try some 3rd
party VB scripting sites on the web. One place I've found that has been
helpful is at http://cwashington.netreach.net where many have freely
contributed to the site.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??
=================================
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:24:10 PM

"An" <pinetree@263.com> wrote in message
> Thanks!
> I know how to set the DNS server adress in the GUI interface.
> I want to know whether there is any command in command line mode.

Yes -- in your larger question however you indicated a problem
that can be solved for the interface.

NetSh.exe can do what you seek.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> -----------------------------------
> An

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:40:45 PM

Thanks you!
Can you please tell me what command of netsh,
or give me an example?
------------------------------------
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:40:46 PM

> Can you please tell me what command of netsh,
> or give me an example?

I will tell you how to learn netsh... (it's a cool trick)

NetSH.exe has DUMP and EXEC commands for saving
settings and reloading them.

Use the dump ( > to a file) and edit the portions of the
file you care about -- make changes and compare the
changes. Then you can exec the desired portions back
into the machine.

BTW, writing Exec stuff is much easier than getting
the real commands correct.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> Thanks you!
> ------------------------------------

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:41:51 AM

Very interesting! Yes! Use following command:
NETSH DUMP >AA.TXT
This command could dump the settings to file aa.txt.
But the portion about DNS in the file like this:
--------------------------------------
pushd routing ip dnsproxy
uninstall
popd
--------------------------------------
I still don't know how to do.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:41:52 AM

"An" <ayk@263.com> wrote in message
> Very interesting! Yes! Use following command:
> NETSH DUMP >AA.TXT
> This command could dump the settings to file aa.txt.
> But the portion about DNS in the file like this:
> --------------------------------------
> pushd routing ip dnsproxy

This is an RRAS entry I believe -- so unlikely to be
of value to you.

You need the "interface ip" context ('pushd' is just
a "change direct" type command, that also remembers
the last context so that a 'popd' gets you back -- works
at the command line too but few people use it. Sort
of like a History list in your browser.)

> --------------------------------------
> I still don't know how to do.

Dump your interface IP stuff (or everything) -- change
the interface by hand in the GUI. Dump it again.
Compare the differences or just save that chunk to do
it next time with the command.

It's as simple as saving before (you manually change
something) and after -- next time you can use the Exec
to make those changes in both directions.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Manually changed the setting,Dialed up and dumped again,
compared with the last text file with FC command,result:
No difference.
There is also no "interface ip" context in the dump created
text file.
Yet your idea is very good.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:56:10 AM

An wrote:
> Manually changed the setting,Dialed up and dumped again,
> compared with the last text file with FC command,result:
> No difference.
> There is also no "interface ip" context in the dump created
> text file.
> Yet your idea is very good.

Here are some helpful links for this complicated command:

242468 - How to Use the Netsh.exe Tool and Command-Line Switches:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=242468

257748 - How to Use the NETSH Command to Change from Static IP Address to
DHCP in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257748

Microsoft Windows XP - Netsh commands for Interface IP:

MS-DOS netsh command help:
http://www.computerhope.com/netsh.htm#04

IP from the Command Prompt:
http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm

Chicagotech.net - netsh command:
http://www.chicagotech.net/netsh.htm

Ace
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:56:10 AM

I just ran this command on Win2000 (Server), XP, and
Win2003 Server:

netsh interface ip dump

In all cases in dumped a usable IP context.

(I didn't have an dial connection invoked but I am pretty
sure that I have tested that in the past and once established
dial interfaces are practically indistinguishable from a
real NIC in most important ways.)

Ace: Do you use OneNote? I dumped your NetSh links
into my Windows -> Tools -> NetSh page.

Thanks.

--

> Manually changed the setting,Dialed up and dumped again,
> compared with the last text file with FC command,result:
> No difference.
> There is also no "interface ip" context in the dump created
> text file.
> Yet your idea is very good.

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:02:01 AM

Herb Martin wrote:
> I just ran this command on Win2000 (Server), XP, and
> Win2003 Server:
>
> netsh interface ip dump
>
> In all cases in dumped a usable IP context.
>
> (I didn't have an dial connection invoked but I am pretty
> sure that I have tested that in the past and once established
> dial interfaces are practically indistinguishable from a
> real NIC in most important ways.)
>
> Ace: Do you use OneNote? I dumped your NetSh links
> into my Windows -> Tools -> NetSh page.
>
> Thanks.

No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such as
in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.

Ace
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:01:46 PM

Ace and An:

> Thank you! I nerver heard of OneNote.Is it a useful tool?

Microsoft's newest "Office-like" (not technically part of Office yet),
and in version one they seem to have made a lost of weird UI
decisions but it is on the right track.

> No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
> over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such
as
> in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
> system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.

OneNote is useful. It seems to be better than my other methods
after only a couple of weeks -- it is not a total replacement for
favorites, but does help with organizing

I have mainly used just standard favorites, text files, Excel,
and even Outlook "draft" emails. This seems to beat all of
the above.

5500 links sounds like a lot -- I probably have that many but
they aren't very well organized. (I have been collecting them
since before IE3.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:o BUKilpZFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
> > I just ran this command on Win2000 (Server), XP, and
> > Win2003 Server:
> >
> > netsh interface ip dump
> >
> > In all cases in dumped a usable IP context.
> >
> > (I didn't have an dial connection invoked but I am pretty
> > sure that I have tested that in the past and once established
> > dial interfaces are practically indistinguishable from a
> > real NIC in most important ways.)
> >
> > Ace: Do you use OneNote? I dumped your NetSh links
> > into my Windows -> Tools -> NetSh page.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
> over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such
as
> in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
> system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.
>
> Ace

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:30:47 PM

Thanks a lot!The command was found at last.
The command like this:

NETSH interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" 202.99.99.99
NETSH interface ip add dns "Local Area Connection" 202.99.99.99

What a long command!
An
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:38:18 PM

Thank you! I nerver heard of OneNote.Is it a useful tool?
I use NETSH DUMP command,that's why there is no the context.
An
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:34:30 AM

Herb Martin wrote:
> OneNote is useful. It seems to be better than my other methods
> after only a couple of weeks -- it is not a total replacement for
> favorites, but does help with organizing
>
> I have mainly used just standard favorites, text files, Excel,
> and even Outlook "draft" emails. This seems to beat all of
> the above.
>
> 5500 links sounds like a lot -- I probably have that many but
> they aren't very well organized. (I have been collecting them
> since before IE3.)

I may give it a try. I have a copy thru my MSDN subscription. The only thing
I don't like its that it's another app running in the background. Obi
mentioned one awhile back that integrates with IE, but I can't remember what
it's called. I'm building a new dual Xeon with a Raid5 1.2 terabytes of
storage (need it to store my classroom Ghost images and be able to run
multiple VPCs without taxing the system too much). I may go with OneNote
when I get that completed.

In the meantime, I'll just keep chugging along with this old flathead V8
(Bonnie and Clyde's choice)...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 9:07:32 AM

> I may give it a try. I have a copy thru my MSDN subscription.

I thought you might -- not sure if it is worth $100 yet (but then
if it does what I want it is worth at least $500.)

> The only thing
> I don't like its that it's another app running in the background.

Well, it is really just another running ap as it is something that
stays up like Outlook and Excel, although it has some popup
hotkey stuff (I don't use that much, probably should.)

> Obi
> mentioned one awhile back that integrates with IE, but I can't remember
what
> it's called. I'm building a new dual Xeon with a Raid5 1.2 terabytes of
> storage (need it to store my classroom Ghost images and be able to run
> multiple VPCs without taxing the system too much). I may go with OneNote
> when I get that completed.

It is a great way to record and store all those odd pieces of data
we run into on the web and in email.

If you can find something better then I will try it.

This is one of those apps that no one 'gets' until they use it --
then like Excel (remember: "What's a spreadsheet for?") or
email (I can just call them...), or even IE and the web itself
people cannot live without them. <grin>

> In the meantime, I'll just keep chugging along with this old flathead V8
> (Bonnie and Clyde's choice)...

Hey, I still have a couple of machines I LIKE that run processors
measured in 100's of Mhz.

--

message news:eAI1cuxZFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
> > OneNote is useful. It seems to be better than my other methods
> > after only a couple of weeks -- it is not a total replacement for
> > favorites, but does help with organizing
> >
> > I have mainly used just standard favorites, text files, Excel,
> > and even Outlook "draft" emails. This seems to beat all of
> > the above.
> >
> > 5500 links sounds like a lot -- I probably have that many but
> > they aren't very well organized. (I have been collecting them
> > since before IE3.)

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:19:50 PM

Thank you,Ace and Herb,for your answer to my question.
I have found it pretty good to "talk" to you.Now there
is a new question here.
It is clear that one of the key point of using NETSH
command to set DNS server is to know the interface name.
This question can be solved by using the command bellow:
NETSH interface ip dump
It works well to use this command in my broadband connection
computer.But when this command was used in my dial connection
computer,it returned an error message(translated into English):

"Eerror when get the configuration from interface
{93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE}"

What the interface name should be?
An
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:19:51 PM

It should be the same one shown by IPConfig /all when
the Dial is connected, and maybe Network and Dialup
Connections shows it correctly too.

Don't know about the error unless it is something
stupid like the command prompt not understanding your
non-English characters....

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

"An" <anyukuan@sohu.com> wrote in message
news:o nvfIo0ZFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thank you,Ace and Herb,for your answer to my question.
> I have found it pretty good to "talk" to you.Now there
> is a new question here.
> It is clear that one of the key point of using NETSH
> command to set DNS server is to know the interface name.
> This question can be solved by using the command bellow:
> NETSH interface ip dump
> It works well to use this command in my broadband connection
> computer.But when this command was used in my dial connection
> computer,it returned an error message(translated into English):
>
> "Eerror when get the configuration from interface
> {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE}"
>
> What the interface name should be?
> An

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:08:57 AM

What is the interface name?
This is the IPConfig /all reply:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter 6413:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
211.64.57.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

-
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 1:08:58 AM

> What is the interface name?

>PPP adapter 6413:
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

"WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface"

When you use it on the command line it will require
quotes since it has spaces and parens.

--

> What is the interface name?
> This is the IPConfig /all reply:
-
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>
> PPP adapter 6413:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> 211.64.57.1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

> -

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:12:06 AM

Herb Martin wrote:
>> I may give it a try. I have a copy thru my MSDN subscription.
>
> I thought you might -- not sure if it is worth $100 yet (but then
> if it does what I want it is worth at least $500.)
>
>> The only thing
>> I don't like its that it's another app running in the background.
>
> Well, it is really just another running ap as it is something that
> stays up like Outlook and Excel, although it has some popup
> hotkey stuff (I don't use that much, probably should.)
>
>> Obi
>> mentioned one awhile back that integrates with IE, but I can't
>> remember what it's called. I'm building a new dual Xeon with a Raid5
>> 1.2 terabytes of storage (need it to store my classroom Ghost images
>> and be able to run multiple VPCs without taxing the system too
>> much). I may go with OneNote when I get that completed.
>
> It is a great way to record and store all those odd pieces of data
> we run into on the web and in email.
>
> If you can find something better then I will try it.
>
> This is one of those apps that no one 'gets' until they use it --
> then like Excel (remember: "What's a spreadsheet for?") or
> email (I can just call them...), or even IE and the web itself
> people cannot live without them. <grin>
>
>> In the meantime, I'll just keep chugging along with this old
>> flathead V8 (Bonnie and Clyde's choice)...
>
> Hey, I still have a couple of machines I LIKE that run processors
> measured in 100's of Mhz.

I still have a couple laying around. I just threw out literally in the
trash, an old Dell GXA 166mhz. I'm sure someone snagged it driving by!

If I find something different, I'll let you know.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:15:47 AM

An wrote:
> What is the interface name?
> This is the IPConfig /all reply:
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>
> PPP adapter 6413:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> 211.64.57.1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
dialup/ppp connections.

Ace
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:16:08 AM

An wrote:
> Thank you,Ace and Herb,for your answer to my question.
> I have found it pretty good to "talk" to you.Now there
> is a new question here.

My pleasure!

Ace
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:08:18 AM

> I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
> When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
> connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
> Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
> dialup/ppp connections.

You are correct -- I went through this before and forgot.

--

message news:o ymAvL$ZFHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> An wrote:
> > What is the interface name?
> > This is the IPConfig /all reply:

-
> > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bzmc-01
> > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > PPP adapter 6413:
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.243
> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.243
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 211.64.56.1
> > 211.64.57.1
> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

> I would think it's "PPP adapter 6413", but not sure with dialup adapters.
> When I ran a dump, it told me "Local Area Connection", which is my
> connection name, which happens to be the default. It's what you call it in
> Network & Dialup Connections window. But like I said, not sure about
> dialup/ppp connections.
>
> Ace

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:53:25 AM

I have tried many of the posible names,all with quotes.
"WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface","6413",etc.
They are all invalid interface names.
--------------------------------------
An
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:53:26 AM

Have you dumped it while the connection is ACTIVE?

The name it uses in the dump is the one it expects when you exec.

--

> I have tried many of the posible names,all with quotes.
> "WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface","6413",etc.
> They are all invalid interface names.
> --------------------------------------
> An

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:17:49 AM

There is only one exception, use NULL name:
add dns "" 211.64.56.2
The reply is "Error when get configuration from interface "
Just like the error message from DUMP command.
June 4, 2005 12:03:58 AM

"PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
May be it is a bug.
June 4, 2005 12:03:59 AM

"An" <pinetree@sohu.com> wrote in message
> "PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
> May be it is a bug.

What software is creating that adapter?

Usually MS dial/vpn's have a NDIS_WAN in the name
(the last time I looked.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

June 4, 2005 12:03:59 AM

"An" <pinetree@sohu.com> wrote in message
> "PPP adapter 6413" is my second trying name,invalid.
> May be it is a bug.

What software is creating that adapter?

Usually MS dial/vpn's have a NDIS_WAN in the name
(the last time I looked.)

Show me the "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" file --
paste it in from the file; please don't type it or change
it, or use a graphic.

Do this while connected.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

June 4, 2005 10:30:39 AM

"netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:

# ----------------------------------
# ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£

popd
# ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:30:40 AM

> "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:
>
> # ----------------------------------
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
> # ----------------------------------
> pushd interface ip
>
> ´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£
>

> popd
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø

What's you Encoding? Or national language so I can guess
the encoding maybe....

All I saw above was 'letter salad' so I need to pull down the
menu Format->Encoding and choose something to let me see
this.

You may have a character set bug too. Something about your
national version of Windows and the command line tools.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> "netsh interface ip dump >t.txt" result:
>
> # ----------------------------------
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖÃ
> # ----------------------------------
> pushd interface ip
>
> ´Ó½Ó¿Ú {93856A9A-802A-427A-A2FF-777CF57974FE} »ñÈ¡ÅäÖÃʱ³öÏÖ´íÎó¡£
>

> popd
> # ½Ó¿Ú IP ÅäÖýáÊø

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:34:42 PM

The Windows2000 Version is Simplified Chinese.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:34:43 PM

> The Windows2000 Version is Simplified Chinese.

My experience (in addition to the English version)
is mostly with the MUI, and that mostly in French,
German, and Arabic so there isn't much I can say
to help if I cannot read the output.

I am sorry.

Does the NetSH dump give something that makes sense
to YOU (or other Chinese speakers)?

If so, does it work to just Exec it back into the machine?

If not, it is a bug -- you can report it that way.

Dump and Exec should work together even if you cannot
edit the intermediate file.

Set it up manually for one network, dump it. Set it up
for the other(s) and dump it(them).

Now you can exec the machine back to any previous
state.

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:57:27 PM

Thanks,that's enough.My main purpose is to know the comman
format,being able to use it in broadband connection is much
better than in dial connection.I have learned a lot.
Thanks once more in our chinese way!
An
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:46:29 PM

> No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
> over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such
as
> in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
> system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.

NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE
http://www.LearnQuick.Com
[phone number on web site]

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:o BUKilpZFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
> > I just ran this command on Win2000 (Server), XP, and
> > Win2003 Server:
> >
> > netsh interface ip dump
> >
> > In all cases in dumped a usable IP context.
> >
> > (I didn't have an dial connection invoked but I am pretty
> > sure that I have tested that in the past and once established
> > dial interfaces are practically indistinguishable from a
> > real NIC in most important ways.)
> >
> > Ace: Do you use OneNote? I dumped your NetSh links
> > into my Windows -> Tools -> NetSh page.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> No, but I've been thinking about other ways to organize this mess. I have
> over 5500 favorites. I use CopyURL to copy/paste the links to text (such
as
> in a post), but it's cumbersome having that many. Sometimes I think the
> system gets hung when parsing them sometimes.
>
> Ace

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:35:40 AM

In news:eWy8VAXaFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
An <pinetree@sohu.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Thanks,that's enough.My main purpose is to know the comman
> format,being able to use it in broadband connection is much
> better than in dial connection.I have learned a lot.
> Thanks once more in our chinese way!
> An

I'm sorry, I cannot understand the output either. I hope you have enough
information from Herb and I in order to achieve your goal.

:-)

Ace
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:36:49 AM

In news:eCWX3FjaFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:

> Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
> of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.
>
> NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)

Cool. Good to hear. I'm still looking for a decent easier method. I'm not
quite ready to take the OneNote plunge yet.

Ace
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:09:08 AM

message news:uwnhqIxaFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In news:eCWX3FjaFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion -- already found some lost nuggets
> > of gold due to your suggestion and using the program.
> >
> > NoNags (I haven't used them in months, maybe years.)
> >

> Cool. Good to hear. I'm still looking for a decent easier method. I'm not
> quite ready to take the OneNote plunge yet.

Take it man -- you will know within a week or two and
you CAN get out of the water if it's too cold.

I think I am pretty much hooked. Although today may be the
first day in a week or two when I didn't add anything to OneNote
and only peeked in there a couple of times. (But very few Google
searches either.)

--
Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
Accelerated MCSE

> Ace

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:52:08 AM

In news:o vgdGKzaFHA.2968@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Take it man -- you will know within a week or two and
> you CAN get out of the water if it's too cold.
>
> I think I am pretty much hooked. Although today may be the
> first day in a week or two when I didn't add anything to OneNote
> and only peeked in there a couple of times. (But very few Google
> searches either.)

I just found a product called Onfolio
www.onfolio.com

Since you're familiar with OneNote, can you take a look at this and compare
it?

Thanks,
Ace
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:06:15 AM

Ok, but not this week probably.

This does seem a similar product -- and it has a similar
price but of course I already own OneNote so the $100
for Onfolio is no comparision for me.

The RSS feeds are intriguing -- as I have a free one (Pluck)
but don't really like ANY of the RSS readers that I have
tried.

So IF it works conveniently it might be cool.

One thing, these things aren't really worth trying for 10
minutes -- you have to really USE them for a week or two
to start to get a real idea.

Imagine trying to evaluate an email client in 20 minutes.
(Or a NewsReader etc.)

--

message news:#BjwkR8aFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In news:o vgdGKzaFHA.2968@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> > Take it man -- you will know within a week or two and
> > you CAN get out of the water if it's too cold.
> >
> > I think I am pretty much hooked. Although today may be the
> > first day in a week or two when I didn't add anything to OneNote
> > and only peeked in there a couple of times. (But very few Google
> > searches either.)
>
> I just found a product called Onfolio
> www.onfolio.com
>
> Since you're familiar with OneNote, can you take a look at this and
compare
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ace

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:38:10 AM

In news:%23bHEOC%23aFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> stated, and I replied below:
> Ok, but not this week probably.
>
> This does seem a similar product -- and it has a similar
> price but of course I already own OneNote so the $100
> for Onfolio is no comparision for me.
>
> The RSS feeds are intriguing -- as I have a free one (Pluck)
> but don't really like ANY of the RSS readers that I have
> tried.
>
> So IF it works conveniently it might be cool.
>
> One thing, these things aren't really worth trying for 10
> minutes -- you have to really USE them for a week or two
> to start to get a real idea.
>
> Imagine trying to evaluate an email client in 20 minutes.
> (Or a NewsReader etc.)

I understand. I thought if you get a chance to do it, you;'ve already used
OneNote to compare it.

Yes, I like the RSS feature too. I know OneNote doesn't support that.

If you have time, that would be cool...
Ace
Anonymous
March 24, 2010 1:21:52 PM

Quote:

An wrote:
> Thanks!
> I know how to set the DNS server adress in the GUI interface.
> I want to know whether there is any command in command line mode.
> -----------------------------------
> An

There are many ways to do it for Windows 2000, XP and 2003. One way is using
the netsh command. You can also search the numerous VB scripts at either
Microsoft's Script Center at www.technet.com, or you can also try some 3rd
party VB scripting sites on the web. One place I've found that has been
helpful is at http://cwashington.netreach.net where many have freely
contributed to the site.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??

Use dnscmd
December 8, 2011 10:03:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!